Old 05-31-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

Why Do I Need Fender Skirts

We have a Coachman Freedom Express and I am putting it back together after a 6000 mile road trip. One of the many things that fell off was a fender skirt. (it's in N. Arizona if anyone wants to look for it.) I started the search to replace it and then wondered why? Does it serve any purpose other than looks? I can buy stainless screws and washers to fill the holes for under $10.00 why spend up to $200.00?

Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #2

I know of no functional reason for the skirt other then looks. Here's a guess They might keep some of the dirt off the side wall of the rig when it raining and you are traveling.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:03 AM   #3
Retired Old Fart

I've wondered that myself.

I also have a FE and one of the fender skirts has cracked at one of the screws. I'm going to pull it off and re-enforce with JB Weld, from the backside and I can then drill a new mounting hole in the JB Weld. I'm thinking of just going ahead and putting a gob at all the screw locations while it's off the trailer to fix the one screw hole. The caulking is nearly 4 years old and looking a little flat so this will fix 2 things at once since I will need to recaulk anyway.

I don't think the tires throwing mud or even water from the roadway up is a problem on a FE. My tires are 100% inside of the outside sidewalls and I'm pretty sure my plastic wheel trim is just for looks.

I've seen some trailers that just had chrome trim around the wheel well openings at the flat side of the trailer, no skirt. Did not look bad at all. I can't remember what brand it was (saw it last week while looking at RV dealer sites, so it was a new model). I thought about that as Plan B for my cracked screw issue, but then came up with the JB Weld idea.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote