Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #21

Same Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
I'm finding that it's quite common actually. That front area gets hit with different wind patterns depending on the tow vehicle. I noticed that it doesn't do it when I tow with my Jeep but it does it when I tow with my pickup.

Many people mistakenly assume that wind is getting under the siding somehow. But the fact is the wind pattern creates a low pressure area on that front quadrant and "lifts" the siding from the outside. Often it's too much force for the ridiculous staples that are used and they pull out of the studs. The more it happens, the easier it becomes for the staples to slide in and out of the studs.

That's why I'm going to use one or two 1.5" pan head screws at the thicker part of the seam to screw the siding down to a stud. I don't think it will be that noticeable and it will certainly be easier than pulling the trim and siding to get to the area where they are stapled to the studs.
One the return of our 7500 mile trip out west this summer I noticed a bulge in the driver's side camper wall near the top marker lights. I took it to the dealer and they said not to worry about it, and that all they would be willing to do would be to use some small pan-head screws to secure it to the studs. he recommended painting over them to match the siding. They basically said they would do it, but it would make more sense for me to do it if I felt comfortable rather than charge me $100+ to install a few screws.

I have yet to do anything, but I am afraid it is going to blow open. I don't feel like putting a screw is the best fix, but the cheapest when compared to having to remove the siding from the bottom up to the second highest panel to put in new fasteners.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #22

I was considering using the screws also instead of taking it apart but a few people said that no matter how good I sealed around the screws I most likely would end up having water leak around them and have water damage problems later. I'm considering using some screws instead of the staples for better stability once it's apart since they will be covered by each piece of siding once I've reinstalled them.
bmstephens2 is offline   Reply With Quote