Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #1

Unhappy Windjammer Structural Issue

I have a 2011 Rockwood Windjammer 2102W with a rear slide. While setting up camp in Williams, AZ recently I discovered the rear outside wall separating from the sidewall on the right side of the trailer. It had moved all the way back to the rear bumper of the trailer. I cancelled the rest our our trip and limped back to Central Mississippi. I was able to push the wall back in place after extending the slide and secure some blocks of wood between the bumper and the rear wall to help keep it in place. The stress of the wall coming loose also put a lot of stress on the slide, breaking and pulling loose the screws on the front support and pulling one of the cables loose, rendering the slide unusable on the trip home. Pretty cramped inside with the slide retracted. Has anyone experienced a similar situation? If so what was the corrective action taken and by whom?
jcwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

There was Lots of issues with "Cable Rear Slide Units" not just Forest River but other MFG also! Several MFG dropped this design Forest River as well! Big $$$ to repair! Sorry to hear this! Youroo!!
Old 08-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #3

Jcwest, did you get pictures of how it was damaged? We bought our used 2012W last year and it is the early model with the slide rail only on the driver's side. We noticed shortly after getting it home that when retracted, the bed sagged on the passenger side. Thinking it not the optimal situation I ordered a second rail to put on the passenger side as well as the double-sided wheel bar that bolts to the foot of the bed. Under the second rail I screwed on an additional length of wood just for added stability (no way to guarantee that I had screwed the rail into studs on that side).

Do you have the single-rail model? What was done with your unit when you got back home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
There was Lots of issues with "Cable Rear Slide Units" not just Forest River but other MFG also! Several MFG dropped this design Forest River as well!
Could you cite some links that speak to this issue?
Fogtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #4

I haven't gotten it repaired yet. I am delivering it to the Service Center in Shipshewana tomorrow. It is the single roller set up. the rear wall has to be replaced as well as the attachment piece for the bar at the foot of the bed. I intend to ask them to install another rail and a double roller bar.while they have the slideout removed.
jcwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwest View Post
I haven't gotten it repaired yet. I am delivering it to the Service Center in Shipshewana tomorrow. It is the single roller set up. the rear wall has to be replaced as well as the attachment piece for the bar at the foot of the bed. I intend to ask them to install another rail and a double roller bar.while they have the slideout removed.
Did the wall damage occur when it was retracted or when it was extended? The single-rail design is horrible. So horrible that they changed the design for the subsequent models of 2102W. I am amazed that I had to go through what I had to just to get the improved parts to install myself. All in all it was worth it for peace of mind.

It is such a design flaw, you'd think that forest river would have done a recall to swap the parts for those who request. When retracted, my passenger side of the bed was a good 4" or more lower than the driver side.

Did you ever have someone adjust your cables? That first year slide is something I cannot find a manual for.
Fogtripper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windjammer