Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #1

Winter And Vents

I have a trailer that is on a permanent location. This year was the first time that I left the roof vents open while I was not there and it helped dramatically with moisture. My question is should I continue to leave them slightly opened throughout the winter? We have covers that are over them so water and animals do not get in. Also, since we will not be there for an extended time, should I unplug the shore power?

Thanks for your help.

wilderness503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #2

If you unplug from shore power be sure to remove your batteries and charge them once/month or place them on a battery tender. Otherwise when you hook up you will find your batteries to be dead.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #3

I can leave it plugged in as we don't pay for electric. Do you think that is best?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness503 View Post
I can leave it plugged in as we don't pay for electric. Do you think that is best?
I am not sure if it's the best but that is what I do. The 3 stage chargers on the newer campers seem to work great, at least that is what I have found. In almost two years I have only added a small amount of distilled water to the batteries once. Do you have few to no power outages where your camper is stored and plugged in? This may also help make that decision.

As far as opening a vent or two while covered on the surface this seems fine to me but I don't cover mine so I really don't know. I've been tempted to purchase a cover as I really like taking care of my stuff but I'm not as motivated now that I'm getting older.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

Very few outages that I know of. We don't have a camper cover just these plastic things that cover the vents.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
leave them slightly opened throughout the winter
We were advised to close the vents however this is in a colder climate - eastern Canada. My brother-in-law tried it (left open) and ended up with a serious mold issue; related... It was also suggested to include a moisture control product (e.g. DampRid) over the winter, and check/replace mid-winter. Note we're newbies and I'm interested in experienced thoughts on this topic. We are planning to frequently check our TT through the winter which would introduce some air exchange; opening the TT and inspecting.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote