Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #1

XLR Nose Cap Damage

After our first season with the new XLR, it’s been at the dealership where we purchased it for a few minor warranty repairs. Unfortunately they called late yesterday afternoon to inform us that their bobcat driver/RV mover hit our trailer damaged the nose cap. Obviously I was quite upset…thinking that as rookies this year we pulled the XLR about 5000 miles, camped in several tight sites, and never put a scratch on it. Anyway…I’m better today, accidents happen, the dealership has been very good to work with (so far), and life goes on. So the dealer is going to take it to a body shop for repairs, and said it will be fixed “good as new.” My question is can this be fixed as good as new? I assume the cap is fiberglass, and I don’t know anything about how they fix a fiberglass scratch and dent like this (filler material or cut out the damage and patch the hole with fiberglass?). Any input for me on how this is repaired, what to look for when it’s done, and/or how I should handle this with my dealership would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1377.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	94170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1378.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	94171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1379.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	94172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	94173  
2012 HD Ultra Classic
MN John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #2

I feel your pain; and if it helps any; that is minor compared to what we had done to ours. We picked up our new Sabre fifth wheel around Labor Day 2014. Used it a few times and parked it for the winter. Took it to our dealer (Camping World) in March 2015 for some minor warranty issues so we could get the trailer back in time for a full season of camping. They hit our nose cap with a forklift and put a two foot long gash in it. This all happened when they said they were waiting on Forest River to send the warranty parts. I found out later that the parts had never even been ordered. Anyway--that's a whole other ordeal. Our trailer was taken to a specialty body shop that does fiberglass work. I would not let the dealer do the work and they didn't have a paint booth. The bill was sent directly to Camping World by the body shop so I don't even know what the cost of repair was.

Trailer was fixed--and it was as good as new. Had to wait an extra two weeks to get one of the decals but once Camping World got it I told them they had to send the guy to my house to install it because 1) I will not go back on their lot and 2) It is over 100 miles round trip to take them the trailer. They could send their guy to me cheaper than me hauling the trailer to them.

Accidents do happen--it was the way the whole situation was handled after the fact and the fact they had my trailer nearly a month "waiting on parts" when they had never been ordered. And I had been in there a month in advance to write the service ticket so they could get it rolling and not have any delays.

Fiberglass can be fixed--believe me there have been enough wrecked or restored Corvettes. Good luck!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
I feel your pain; and if it helps any; that is minor compared to what we had done to ours. We picked up our new Sabre fifth wheel around Labor Day 2014. Used it a few times and parked it for the winter. Took it to our dealer (Camping World) in March 2015 for some minor warranty issues so we could get the trailer back in time for a full season of camping. They hit our nose cap with a forklift and put a two foot long gash in it. This all happened when they said they were waiting on Forest River to send the warranty parts. I found out later that the parts had never even been ordered. Anyway--that's a whole other ordeal. Our trailer was taken to a specialty body shop that does fiberglass work. I would not let the dealer do the work and they didn't have a paint booth. The bill was sent directly to Camping World by the body shop so I don't even know what the cost of repair was.

Trailer was fixed--and it was as good as new. Had to wait an extra two weeks to get one of the decals but once Camping World got it I told them they had to send the guy to my house to install it because 1) I will not go back on their lot and 2) It is over 100 miles round trip to take them the trailer. They could send their guy to me cheaper than me hauling the trailer to them.

Accidents do happen--it was the way the whole situation was handled after the fact and the fact they had my trailer nearly a month "waiting on parts" when they had never been ordered. And I had been in there a month in advance to write the service ticket so they could get it rolling and not have any delays.

Fiberglass can be fixed--believe me there have been enough wrecked or restored Corvettes. Good luck!
That’s a nightmare story for sure! Accidents do happen, but you’re right…it’s how they are handled after the fact that makes all the difference. I hope they can get it repaired quickly, because I’d like to get it parked for the winter soon…it’s snowing in northern MN!
2012 HD Ultra Classic
MN John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xlr