Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #1

You may want to check..

So there I was replacing the O.E clearance and marker lights on my Roo with new, ultra cool looking LED units. I pulled off the first light on the side and it looked like they made the hole for the wires with a ball peen hammer. Next side light, not only did it look like the drill was not really turning when the hole was made, but despite all the sealer around the light housing, there was still a suprising amount of water behind the base. What was really worrying about this was that not only could the water could freely get into the trailer, but also get between the fiberglass skin and the wood backing. Any one see potential delamination/mildew? Fortunately, this has not happend yet. I smeared urethane around the edge of the hole before installing the new light (more urethane around the light), and I'm going to crawl into the trailer to back up the wire holes with some spray in foam. I think the water was coming in from around the lens, then building up high enough to get in behind the housing through the bulb socket.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing your findings thats what this forum is all about
Old 04-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #3

Where did you get your led lights from? I have ordered a set of 3157s for the tailights from v-leds.com. Would like to change all of them - I cannot tell what type of bulbs I need to get however
1 wife, 1 son, & 1 cat
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
Asst. Scoutmaster (BSA)
archham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Good thing you found it before serious damage occurred. So far we've only had one issue with the strip light across the back. It was almost full of water. I still don't know how it got in and surprised nothing shorted out. I ended up drilling 2 small holes in the rear of the housing so the water would drain out. I used my compressor to help it along. Left it in the sun for an entire Saturday so the remaining water would evaporate. I then resealed the holes and basically did a smear of sealant to the back. Left it dry before putting it back up. It's been more than a year and it's still dry so I guess I fixed it.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by archham View Post
Where did you get your led lights from? I have ordered a set of 3157s for the tailights from v-leds.com. Would like to change all of them - I cannot tell what type of bulbs I need to get however
Actually, I am replacing the whole clearance/marker light assembly. It is a sealed LED unit that uses 2 of the really bright chips in them. They are actually smaller than the OE lamp, that is why I took them off in the frist place, only to find water behind them!?!? The lights themselves are from Grote, P/N 45002-5 (red) and 45003-5 (amber). Come with nice chrome bezel, they look really good. As far as my taillights go, I'm still trying to figure that out. I don't want to replace just the bulb, I'm thinking more of a different LED equipped assembly. I'll try to post pics soon under the mods forum.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote