Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
2016 FR3-30DS - corroded storage locks

At least one of the storage compartment locks and latches is all corroded on the inside. I checked a couple others, not all of them yet, and don't see any others corroded. Given that the unit is a 2016, and I have not yet had it two weeks, I'm curious if this is common? I thought I saw another post about this problem, but figured I'd ask just the same. Thanks, Mike
__________________

Mykelawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ohio North Coast
Posts: 489
Spray the locks with P B Blaster (the original type). P B Blaster comes in several types for different jobs (garage door lube, lawnmower repair, etc). This will take care of your problem. Can find it in autoparts stores, Walmart, Home Depot, etc).

Bob
__________________

__________________
2013 Ford F250 SD 6.7L
2014 Wildwood Heritage Glen 282RK
Certified Rumble Strip Tester
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Spray the locks with P B Blaster (the original type). P B Blaster comes in several types for different jobs (garage door lube, lawnmower repair, etc). This will take care of your problem. Can find it in autoparts stores, Walmart, Home Depot, etc).

Bob
Will this reverse the corrosion already evident, or is that just to prevent corrosion from starting? Thanks Mike
Mykelawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
sgtlm17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,341
Pretty common the locks are not the greatest. I have same problem. I keep mine well lubricated with wd40. If I can ever fix the hole in my pocket I will replace with a better quality.
__________________
2016 Forester GTS 2801QSF
2011 Jeep JK Toad
Habitual RV Modifier
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ohio North Coast
Posts: 489
Mike, P B Blaster is a penetrating catalyst. It breaks free rusted or frozen parts. It will protect against further corrosion. I have been using it for years and think it is the best. Go to their website and check it out.

Bob
__________________
2013 Ford F250 SD 6.7L
2014 Wildwood Heritage Glen 282RK
Certified Rumble Strip Tester
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykelawson View Post
At least one of the storage compartment locks and latches is all corroded on the inside. I checked a couple others, not all of them yet, and don't see any others corroded. Given that the unit is a 2016, and I have not yet had it two weeks, I'm curious if this is common? I thought I saw another post about this problem, but figured I'd ask just the same. Thanks, Mike
Had the same issue on our 2016 and once I sprayed no issue on future
Cheap locks on an expensive rig. Go figure
As other said just use wd 40 couple times a year
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Indian Lake, OH
Posts: 49
I replaced the compartment locks on our 2016 3010DS, not because of corrosion but because I wanted better more secure locks. New locks have a better "feel".
Lazy Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykelawson View Post
Will this reverse the corrosion already evident, or is that just to prevent corrosion from starting? Thanks Mike
Nothing will reverse corrosion.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Mike, P B Blaster is a penetrating catalyst. It breaks free rusted or frozen parts. It will protect against further corrosion. I have been using it for years and think it is the best. Go to their website and check it out.

Bob
X2, LOVE the stuff and it leaves a lasting protective film that WD-40 does not
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:25 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
bareftn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: austinburg ohio
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by stervin View Post
Had the same issue on our 2016 and once I sprayed no issue on future
Cheap locks on an expensive rig. Go figure
As other said just use wd 40 couple times a year
I use lock ease with graphite in all my locks even the house, car truck, tractor, once a year
__________________

bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lock, storage

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.