Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #1

2016 FR3-30DS - corroded storage locks

At least one of the storage compartment locks and latches is all corroded on the inside. I checked a couple others, not all of them yet, and don't see any others corroded. Given that the unit is a 2016, and I have not yet had it two weeks, I'm curious if this is common? I thought I saw another post about this problem, but figured I'd ask just the same. Thanks, Mike
Mykelawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #2

Spray the locks with P B Blaster (the original type). P B Blaster comes in several types for different jobs (garage door lube, lawnmower repair, etc). This will take care of your problem. Can find it in autoparts stores, Walmart, Home Depot, etc).

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Spray the locks with P B Blaster (the original type). P B Blaster comes in several types for different jobs (garage door lube, lawnmower repair, etc). This will take care of your problem. Can find it in autoparts stores, Walmart, Home Depot, etc).

Bob
Will this reverse the corrosion already evident, or is that just to prevent corrosion from starting? Thanks Mike
Mykelawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #4

Pretty common the locks are not the greatest. I have same problem. I keep mine well lubricated with wd40. If I can ever fix the hole in my pocket I will replace with a better quality.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #5

Mike, P B Blaster is a penetrating catalyst. It breaks free rusted or frozen parts. It will protect against further corrosion. I have been using it for years and think it is the best. Go to their website and check it out.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykelawson View Post
At least one of the storage compartment locks and latches is all corroded on the inside. I checked a couple others, not all of them yet, and don't see any others corroded. Given that the unit is a 2016, and I have not yet had it two weeks, I'm curious if this is common? I thought I saw another post about this problem, but figured I'd ask just the same. Thanks, Mike
Had the same issue on our 2016 and once I sprayed no issue on future
Cheap locks on an expensive rig. Go figure
As other said just use wd 40 couple times a year
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #7

I replaced the compartment locks on our 2016 3010DS, not because of corrosion but because I wanted better more secure locks. New locks have a better "feel".
Lazy Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Will this reverse the corrosion already evident, or is that just to prevent corrosion from starting? Thanks Mike
Nothing will reverse corrosion.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Mike, P B Blaster is a penetrating catalyst. It breaks free rusted or frozen parts. It will protect against further corrosion. I have been using it for years and think it is the best. Go to their website and check it out.

Bob
X2, LOVE the stuff and it leaves a lasting protective film that WD-40 does not
Old 02-07-2017, 06:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stervin View Post
Had the same issue on our 2016 and once I sprayed no issue on future
Cheap locks on an expensive rig. Go figure
As other said just use wd 40 couple times a year
I use lock ease with graphite in all my locks even the house, car truck, tractor, once a year
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes it is common for these lock assy to corrode on the Inside! Most just have a Cheap Flash Galvanized Coating, also compartment door Foam seals have many issues with sealing also,and Hold Moisture also! Better Lock Assemblies "$$$" will resist conditions better,like Boats in Salt Water! Youroo!!
Old 02-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #12

Lock Ease is the best thing you can use inside of a lock !!!
White lithium is a good choice for the mechanize !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock, storage