Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #1

4092BFL Thermal Window Coverings

I have a 2016 4092BFL which has a lot of windows (and a patio slider) in the Dining/Living room area. On our seasonal spot, we lost 6 large shade trees to ash borers so I'll be getting a lot more sunlight this year than before.

The trailer came with faux wood blinds that are really just for privacy and offer no real thermal properties for keeping the interior cool.

I've been looking at various solutions from thermal blinds to window films, but curious what others have used in order to reduce the interior temperature? Ideally I'd like a solution that is either permanent (film) or can be easily removed (like a blind) while still offering the best possible heat reflection possible.

Not too concerned about cost as long as the solution can be DIY or typically has mobile installers that can install.

Any help is appreciated!
slw2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #2

I just purchased a roll of Reflectix insulation at Lowe’s and cut out panels for all of my windows. It looks like a typical shiny sunscreen, only it’s cut to fit. Just having them in place while I worked inside made the coach noticeably cooler. We are leaving on a trip to Joshua Tree in a few days so I’ll find out then how they work.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #3

I thought about reflectix but with the amount of windows that are in a 4092, I'd have shiny silver stuff everywhere and the wife really likes being able to look out the windows.

I have been looking at Gila Films heat film (titanium or platinum seems to get good reviews)... anyone have any experience with this type of product for heat reduction?
Old 05-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by slw2206 View Post
I have a 2016 4092BFL which has a lot of windows (and a patio slider) in the Dining/Living room area. On our seasonal spot, we lost 6 large shade trees to ash borers so I'll be getting a lot more sunlight this year than before.

The trailer came with faux wood blinds that are really just for privacy and offer no real thermal properties for keeping the interior cool.

I've been looking at various solutions from thermal blinds to window films, but curious what others have used in order to reduce the interior temperature? Ideally I'd like a solution that is either permanent (film) or can be easily removed (like a blind) while still offering the best possible heat reflection possible.

Not too concerned about cost as long as the solution can be DIY or typically has mobile installers that can install.

Any help is appreciated!

Since your on a seasonal site, will the campground allow you to install a hard cover over that side of your TT?

I have some friends who's TT sits with their patio doors facing a lake to the west. The CG sells and installs a hard cover deck roof. The cover can be just a roof or a screened porch over your deck. Our CG has to install it because it is anchored to 12" x 12" x 24" deep concrete forms buried at ground level.

I don't have any pictures for you to see what I'm suggesting. I texted my friend and if he has any pics I will send to you.

Edit, added pic similar to what my friend has.
Attached Images

Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:24 PM   #5

Well, settled on getting Madico Reflective 5 on the majority of my windows and Optivision 25 on the large slider.

Wife also bought some double cellular light filtering shades to replace the faux wood slats that came with the camper.

We'll see how well that combination keeps the camper cool, it'll definitely be a big improvement over no film and the OEM blinds.

2 weeks till the shades get here and I have to install, just in time for the heat of June

Tags
cover, window