Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 09:38 PM   #1

A frame door hinge seized

2012 Flagstaff T12SC, with split door.

Moved this winter, so I had to tow it on salted roads. Now the lower hinge on the lower half of the door is almost completely seized, to the point where the door frame bent from the stress of trying to open it. My theory is salt water got in the hinge and corroded it. Tried dousing it in WD40 and working it back and forth with little result.

1. Where can I buy a replacement at reasonable cost? Online search unsuccessful.
2. Anybody know if the pin can be removed? If the hinge is seized, I assume the pin won't come out easy, so it would be good to know first if it SHOULD come out. There is a round head on both ends of the pin. If i file the head off one end can I punch it out like a normal pin, or is it two pins and I have to pull one out?

Thanks!!!
Deemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Try using Coke Cola
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #3

try at an auto store or a hardware store and find PB Blaster in a spray can.

works much better then WD40

heat the hinge a bit with a flame, then spray on the Blaster to cool it, flooding the entire hinge with the liquid to draw it into the pin... do this several times while working the door back and forth... give the Blaster a few days to work on the corrosion, redoing the above heat and spray cooling

try filing a groove into the hinge pin that a large flat head screwdriver might get a bite on to turn just the pin

or try turning either pin head with a channel lock pliers

finally grind off the bottom (or top) head and drive the pin out

hope this helps

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #4

Thanks but it is seized beyond any help from penetrating oils. The only cure is either to knock the pin out (not possible - pin is secured to all 3 stationary hinge leaves) or replace. New hinges are pretty reasonably priced at Lippert Components, so 2 new ones are on the way. BTW, I tracked down the hinges by the hidden label on the inside edge of the door itself that names the manufacturer of the door.

An old millwright's trick to secure steel fasteners in aluminum machine parts is to put a bit of salt water on the threads when assembling. Between the rust and the galvanic corrosion, the aluminum and steel are pretty much permanently locked together. The only way to remove a fastener like this is drill it out and tap the hole next size larger. Same thing with the hinge pin, it has corroded and swollen and bound itself to the hinge leaf. The only way to fix it would be if you could get the pin out and remove all the corrosion.

Lesson learned: wouldn't be a bad idea to lube the hinges from time to time to slow down water entry, and would be a very good idea to cover the hinges with vinyl tape if I have to tow it on salted roads again.
Deemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #5

This may sound a bit strange, but a cheap check. I would think you would need to clean the oil off first. Degreaser or alcohol maybe. Soak well with vinegar a few times. Maybe 10-15 mins between soaks. If it's water and corrosion related...it might help it loosen by dissolving the corrosion.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #6

x2 on the PB Blaster. PB Blaster is not a penetrating oil. It is a penetrating catalyst. It will break free rusted or frozen parts. If yours is bad as you say it is, it might take a day or two of spraying the hinge. Try PB Blaster before you buy new parts. You can thank us later.................................

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, frame