Old 09-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #1

A frame skylight questions

Hi all, new to the forum so please forgive me if this is already up. I have been searching but not finding....
I have an aframe camper and one of the 2 skylights have failed. Nothing new I think. I have searched the internet and there are several 26 x 26 smoked skylights for sale but all appear to have pre drilled holes. On my rv the flanges on the skylights have no holes and are attached by simple adhesive and caulk of some kind. Question for you all, any ideas on where to get the skylights without holes and what kind of adhesive? I assume the calk to use is any silicone caulk but any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks for any and all help.
Jer

jerditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. You may get better answers if you list your make and model of A-frame. Myself I never use silicone.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #3

Welcome

Maybe try these folks for replacement covers.

Replacement Skylights, Square, Rectangular & Round.

I might use Dicor Non-Leveling lap Sealant 551LSW – White, to install the cover. However, the folks above can recommend the appropriate sealant if buying from them.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:25 AM   #4
Just as confused as you

The screws are under the Dicor caulk.

As SeaDog said, never use silicon caulk or adhesive on a RV. It doesn't seal well at all and once you use it then you'll have a big problem getting any other caulking to hold. Silicone will not adhere to itself once its set. Another thing, do not use Flex Seal either, it may look nice but it will not last.

If you want something that is warranted to last +/-10 yrs use Eternabond tape.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:03 AM   #5

Great info from you all for this rv new guy. I will call the guys at the link and see what they have and info. As for silicon, looks like that is out. So many internet videos and such promote it, but so many folks say it is bad. What do most people recommend? I see eternabond tape, does that take the place of caulk? Thanks again for the info and patience.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #6

Nothing lasts forever and that is true of sealants. A good reason for avoiding RTV silicones on some replaceable items is that once a silicone sealant is in place, almost nothing will bond to it afterwards. And while RTV silicone will adhere extremely well to any clean properly prepared surface, it is very difficult and sometimes impossible to remove except from a hard-smooth surface. When RTV silicon is protected from the sun (not the case on a roof), it will last virtually forever if nothing ever breaks the seal it is making. I have a 55-gallon glass fish aquarium that the glass panes are held together with nothing more than RTV silicone and has held water the entire time and has not leaked or needed to be resealed in 45 years. Silicones have their places and can make excellent sealants where required and nothing else will work as well for the applications they are used in. When resealing with a silicone sealant is needed, the difficulty of removing the old silicone residue so new silicone will seal properly is just part of the job. And it can be a real job.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #7

skylights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshaft View Post
Maybe try these folks for replacement covers.

Replacement Skylights, Square, Rectangular & Round.

I might use Dicor Non-Leveling lap Sealant 551LSW – White, to install the cover. However, the folks above can recommend the appropriate sealant if buying from them.
I just checked this site and it specifically says not to use on an RV? Any other suggestions?
Here is the link to the RV skylights.
http://www.eztopsworldwide.com/rvsky...SAAEgKUL_D_BwE
jimave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #8

Info for this thread, spoke with eztops today, nice and helpful. They have the skylight, no problem but no suggestions on adhesive. Said they cant know how different adhesives would react. Makes sense. They did recommend eternabond tape which basically replaces the caulk. I will contact forest river and hopefully get some info.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #9

And finally....sikaflex may be the answer. I found another post here that references it so my final answer is to use sikaflex as the adhesive, dicor caulk then maybe the eternabond tape. I have to decide if it will look funny on the outside. Thos is a great site and lots of good info from everyone. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #10

I would have the moderator move this to the A-frame forum. More than one A-frame owner has experienced leaking bubble windows, and has posted on how they fixed it.

For the OP, I suggest checking out the A-frame section on this site. Also, Forest River (assuming you have an A-frame made by Forest River) may have more information on replacement windows.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time

pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, light, skylight