Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
Chief tinkerer

Adding Windows to Dinette Slide-out ?

OK, call it window envy, I guess. As much as we enjoy our rig, it would be nice to have a front and rear view from the slide-out, where the dinette and recliners live, for those times when weather, etc. makes it necessary to stay inside. I realize they would be small like the bed slide windows. Browsing sales brochures, I see that this is done on some RV's.

I have found a couple of threads where windows have been added to the main body of the camper, but not slide-outs. Has anyone seen this done or does anyone know if there is a structural reason this is not done?

Thanks
Attached Images

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:19 AM   #2

I don’t know there is a structural reason it is not done as long as staying away from the edges of the box wall the same distance as other windows are installed. The more holes in the side of an RV, the less structural strength it has and the huge holes cut in walls for slide out rooms really compromise the strength of an RV wall. Yet RV buyers want them. Most likely small windows were not installed in that location to keep costs down so the RV sale price was competitive and the profit margin high. I suppose if they were installed and no stress cracks developed in the side walls of the box, all is good.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:24 AM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

I have seen it done on many different units. On one brand in particular it was a very common mod, so much so that the factory finally started doing it.

As long as you you use small windows and check for structural first if should be feasible. Maybe ask FR if they have an issue with it?

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, window