Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #1

After Market Awning on My Sanibel LR Slide?

Have a 2015 Sanibel and winter sun kills us in Florida. Wife would like to add a smaller secondary awning to the living room slide out. Not just a window awning but a little bigger. I don't know much about this - would probably have it done by a pro - but wondering if the unit is built for it? Are there good mounting surfaces that would support an awning on the slide wall (this is above the four windows)? Would it add too much stress/weight and warp the slide for the in-out process? Is there enough bracing to maintain the slide/awning in a modest wind? Or should I tell her to forget it?
Old 11-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Have a 2015 Sanibel and winter sun kills us in Florida. Wife would like to add a smaller secondary awning to the living room slide out. Not just a window awning but a little bigger. I don't know much about this - would probably have it done by a pro - but wondering if the unit is built for it? Are there good mounting surfaces that would support an awning on the slide wall (this is above the four windows)? Would it add too much stress/weight and warp the slide for the in-out process? Is there enough bracing to maintain the slide/awning in a modest wind? Or should I tell her to forget it?

Go ahead & get an estimate. They put slide out awnings on all the time as special order or dealer installs.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
Always Learning

I have something like this off of the rear of my toy hauler for the patio:
https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/apex/

I think a self-contained box awning could be installed. You might need to go through the wall to a backer board on the inside, so you'd have to see what you could do to "pretty it up".

But I don't see why you couldn't do it.

Beware, the cost of the awning itself runs a good $1,500.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
They are generally called slidetoppers. Dometic, Carefree and Solera make them.
We had an aftermarket Dometic slidetopper installed on our previous trailer's 12ft slideout. It still worked perfectly 10 years later when we sold the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
Always Learning

Are you looking for something on top of the slideout to protect its roof?

Or are you looking for something on the side for more shade on the ground?
Old 11-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

Thule makes the Hideaway (us), Omnistor (uk), and now the Crown (looks like US version of Omnistor) awnings for cheaper. Might be worth a look.
hinkle_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #7

Not an over slide protector. Just want a big sun/shade awning. Concerned about the weight, wind if mounted on the slide out itself.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #8

I've seen slideout awnings made by Carefree on high dollar coaches. Don't know what was involved to install and they were lateral arm type.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:

As with my previous post above, if you get someone to give an estimate, they should be able to give you that info. Also, when the extra awnings are installed by the dealers as an add-on, the slide walls in the trailer are already as built from the manufacturer. So, as Ependydad said, unless they add reinforcements during dealer install, the factory construction should be able to sustain the loads of the awning. Keep in mind that the awning would probably have to be the full width of the slide for proper mounting because the strongest points would be the edges/corners of the slide.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #10
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Not an over slide protector. Just want a big sun/shade awning. Concerned about the weight, wind if mounted on the slide out itself.
I ordered my CC with a 2ed awning on the curb slide over 4 windows. This is a common option so I don't think it would be problematic. We see no problems with the slide sitting out or moving in/out.
Tall frog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, sanibel, slide