Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #1

Awning

Wanting to know how many times u need to turn the awning recoil mechanism to get the awning to retract into storage position on a 2016 coachmen catalina 321BHDSCK. If your facing the trailer, it's the left side that needs recoil in (or turning for tension) and the right side does not turn at all as it has the electrical hookup for the awning. Yes, this is an electric awning. Sorry about that. Please be specific if u truly know
miimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Shouldn't need to wind it at all, what's the issue?

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "22"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

It will open very quickly and when u let go of the out button, it will still proceed a little more and then stop. When I push the In part, it will move very little and then stop. Needs assistance rolling back in. I noticed that when I coiled the end more so than normal, it actually went up further when I hit the In button. I am thinking that the more tension, the more it will spring back up and close.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hmm I've never heard of that issue.

What brand of awning system does it have?

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "22"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:58 PM   #5

It's Dometic
Old 08-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #6

model # -- which dometic awning . if it's the electric there is no spring i know of . you can even hold the the extend switch and once out it will start rolling up backwards . meaning it will just keep on rolling and wind back up
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

When I initially unscrewed the awning from the support bar, it unraveled inside (on the left side as ur facing the trailer awning) the length of the awning. There was tension. I unscrewed it because I needed to replace the support bar.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #8

It must be different than my electric dometic awning. I've had mine apart and no spring.

I did have 2 motors that went bad and that's how they both acted.... They would go out okay and then hard to get them back in. They also have that behaviour when the battery is very low.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Can you post a photo of the motor or the place you removed (unscrewed) the support?
Seems you have something many of us have not seen.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #10

The OP is Correct there is a Spring on the OPP end from the Motor! When he disconnected the arm on the end it "Unwound" Youroo!!
Old 08-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #11

Now to the OP ,go to the Library at the Top of this page and scroll down to Dom Awning it tells how many Turns you will need just a WAG is 12 Turns! Youroo!!
Old 08-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #12

Ok, good deal, I knew I was on the right trac. Youroo, do u have any idea as to how many times it may need to be wound up for it to work properly? I believe that the spring action there helps the motor retract the awning as the hydrolic rod is helping for the awning push outward. Does that sound about right and if so, how do I get this back to specs. without taking it in and spending a ton of money?
Old 08-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Now to the OP ,go to the Library at the Top of this page and scroll down to Dom Awning it tells how many Turns you will need just a WAG is 12 Turns! Youroo!!
Youroo is correct for a change, must have caught him before 12:00 PM, but if I remember right Dometic told me 11 turns. They all have springs on the opposite end of the motor. That is why you have to pin it before you take or replace your motor. Your motor winds it when you let it out and then the sping tension helps the motor bring it back in. That's why you have to pin it when you take that motor off and it's extended. There is a lot of tension on that spring so be careful when you mess with it...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #14

Here's the wording from page 17 of the doc. If you are like me and use the mobile app most of the time, the docs aren't available. Or at least I don't know how to see them in the app.

Thanks for the education in this thread! My motor has been replaced twice, once by Lazy Days and once by myself. I didn't pin anything or have any tension release. But then I didn't take apart the left side either. So now I'm wondering if my awning is screwed up? One more thing to check out when the weather gets cooler But at least now I have more information.

Place correct (torsion crank assembly) adapter over LH top casting. Then place and tighten hex head screw through adapter and into top casting. See (FIG. 15).
See subsection, “A. Required Kits” on page (4) for torsion crank assembly.
 IMPACT OR PINCH HAZARD. Use extreme care when [winding / unwinding] top casting. If NOT controlled, rapid casting spin off will occur. Spring tension will attempt to spin the top casting and/or fabric roller tube quickly and unexpectedly. Failure to obey this warning could result in death or serious injury.
Note the position of LH top casting for winding start position. Then carefully and slowly turn top casting 9 turns (revolutions) clockwise to apply torsion spring tension. See (FIG. 37).
If awning is installed on RV and extended 2 revolutions (turns) from awning rail, ADD 2 turns for a total of 11
Old 08-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Here's the wording from page 17 of the doc. If you are like me and use the mobile app most of the time, the docs aren't available. Or at least I don't know how to see them in the app.

Thanks for the education in this thread! My motor has been replaced twice, once by Lazy Days and once by myself. I didn't pin anything or have any tension release. But then I didn't take apart the left side either. So now I'm wondering if my awning is screwed up? One more thing to check out when the weather gets cooler But at least now I have more information.

Place correct (torsion crank assembly) adapter over LH top casting. Then place and tighten hex head screw through adapter and into top casting. See (FIG. 15).
See subsection, “A. Required Kits” on page (4) for torsion crank assembly.
 IMPACT OR PINCH HAZARD. Use extreme care when [winding / unwinding] top casting. If NOT controlled, rapid casting spin off will occur. Spring tension will attempt to spin the top casting and/or fabric roller tube quickly and unexpectedly. Failure to obey this warning could result in death or serious injury.
Note the position of LH top casting for winding start position. Then carefully and slowly turn top casting 9 turns (revolutions) clockwise to apply torsion spring tension. See (FIG. 37).
If awning is installed on RV and extended 2 revolutions (turns) from awning rail, ADD 2 turns for a total of 11
Your spring may not be wound, then the motor would have to do all the work, which will burn those pieces of garbage out... I would check being you went through 2 motors already.. PS: my wife thinks I have dementia. But I guess I remembered that, maybe i'm just ignoring her..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Your spring may not be wound, then the motor would have to do all the work, which will burn those pieces of garbage out... I would check being you went through 2 motors already.. PS: my wife thinks I have dementia. But I guess I remembered that, maybe i'm just ignoring her..
Yep... That's what I'm thinking! It never acted the same after Lazy Days Tuscon worked on it the first time. Maybe this is why! Easy enough to check... I just have to get over the lazies
Old 08-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Page 16 & 17.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic 9100 Power Awning Material replacement.pdf (1.61 MB, 41 views)
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #18

Thanks for all the info. I will definately use it. I really appreciate the knowledge and the doc. sent to me. I will let you know as to the progress.

Tags
awning