Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
Dallas Texas

Two weeks ago I got a quote for both verticle polls, the awning tube, and the fabric. It was OEM awning from Dometic. Essentially the whole awning and hardware was about $800 to my door.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #22

My deductible is $250 my rates won't increase. Thanks for the help!
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #23

Here is one for you electric awning guys - what happens if your battery dies - is there a way to manually close an electric awning?

I have the manual awning and the only real issue I have had was a large puddle of water gathered in the center of the awning when it rained real hard and I wasnt near the camper to check on it - newby mistake - now I put a pitch to keep this from happening

Doing electric or manual is your choice -
look at the Pro's and Con's / diffrence's of changing it out to electric

Pro's probably easier to open and close provided you have a good battery
con's - More parts to go bad and need replacing and makes ya lazy lol
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanpottery View Post
My deductible is $250 my rates won't increase. Thanks for the help!

That's good news. Could have been worse!
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #25

One advantage of an electric awning, is since it is just a push of a button, it is something a wife can operate. Disadvantage is battery operation when boondocking. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
Here is one for you electric awning guys - what happens if your battery dies - is there a way to manually close an electric awning?

I have the manual awning and the only real issue I have had was a large puddle of water gathered in the center of the awning when it rained real hard and I wasnt near the camper to check on it - newby mistake - now I put a pitch to keep this from happening

Doing electric or manual is your choice -
look at the Pro's and Con's / diffrence's of changing it out to electric

Pro's probably easier to open and close provided you have a good battery
con's - More parts to go bad and need replacing and makes ya lazy lol

yes theres a way to put it back in if there is no power

In Case Of Coach Power Failure Or To manu- ally Close Awning:
Important: This procedure will require two people. When this procedure has been performed, the awning must be serviced by a Dometic Service Center or a qualified service technician before using again.
1. Slide the pull strap (provided) into the utility slot of the FRTA.
2. While one person is holding onto the pull strap, remove the screw in the top of the right top cast- ing. The FRTA will immediately roll in once the bolt is removed. Walk the awning to the closed position.
3. Align hole where screw was removed and replace screw into top casting to secure awning.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #27

I have an electric awning now because manual was not an option on the Sabre.I have had several rigs in the past 35 years (Tent trailer,TT ,Motorhome , 5vers )all with manual awnings.The electric is certainly convenient , my wife loves it , I think I prefer the manual which can be well secured in wind and rain .
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4 SXT 6.4l Hemi 3:73's
Former Michelin Tire Guy
kevnval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
yes theres a way to put it back in if there is no power

In Case Of Coach Power Failure Or To manu- ally Close Awning:
Important: This procedure will require two people. When this procedure has been performed, the awning must be serviced by a Dometic Service Center or a qualified service technician before using again.
1. Slide the pull strap (provided) into the utility slot of the FRTA.
2. While one person is holding onto the pull strap, remove the screw in the top of the right top cast- ing. The FRTA will immediately roll in once the bolt is removed. Walk the awning to the closed position.
3. Align hole where screw was removed and replace screw into top casting to secure awning.
Thanks for posting the info - the part about getting it serviced before using again would stear me away from the electric awning - the chances of the battery failing probably not happen but the laws of physics say it can happen LOL

besides my dealer is two hours away. Glad I got the manual after all.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
Thanks for posting the info - the part about getting it serviced before using again would stear me away from the electric awning - the chances of the battery failing probably not happen but the laws of physics say it can happen LOL

besides my dealer is two hours away. Glad I got the manual after all.
the awning torsion spring just needs to be rewound and the screw put back in .
not a big issue . they say a qualified service professional should do it because of the tension its under . same way if your manual awning was to fail such as the op's did . the OP COULD do it but the owners manual for a manual awning says the same thing .
if and a big if you dont have any battery power you just unhook electrical connection and jumper it to your vehicle battery or way easier put your tv battery in your camper to put in awning.
besides that if you loose power you have to manually crank all your slides so whats the difference ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
the awning torsion spring just needs to be rewound and the screw put back in .
not a big issue . they say a qualified service professional should do it because of the tension its under . same way if your manual awning was to fail such as the op's did . the OP COULD do it but the owners manual for a manual awning says the same thing .
if and a big if you dont have any battery power you just unhook electrical connection and jumper it to your vehicle battery or way easier put your tv battery in your camper to put in awning.
besides that if you loose power you have to manually crank all your slides so whats the difference ?
Sorry to have Hijacked the OP's thread.

Most of it is preference - when you are new to RV's sometimes going simple it easier or manual in my case - parents have owned them for years but this is my first so I figured less to deal with and worry about if something does go wrong.

probably not any diffrence if you have a slide - I do not have any slides so I am safe lol

If the OP is debating on going to the electric awning - maybe a 2nd battery wouldnt be a bad thing as a back up or if they decide to upgrade to a electric tongue jack they will have a backup.

Tags
awning