Old 07-14-2018, 12:13 AM   #1

Awning bracket lag screws pulled out on brand new Shamrock 21SS

2019 Shamrock 21SS with manual awning. The bottom bracket for the left support arm came loose and the holes appear to be stripped. Screws won't tighten. Dealer repair is likely to be larger lag screws but I think that will only temporarily fix it. It needs backer plate. Anybody else have this happen? How did you fix it? I'm considering injecting epoxy into the holes and then resetting the screws. Might make removal tough if that's ever required.

Troutd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Maybe a toggle bolt? They have wings that fold in to push in the hole then they pop out and become a backer.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #3

Same problem with my previous TT. The screws/lag bolts were screwed into the fiberglass siding which has nothing more than a very thin piece of luan plywood behind the fiberglass. What I did was to take a very small drill bit, less than 1/8", and drill a hole lower than where the awning arm mount was located. What you are looking for is the flooring of the unit or the wood, if any, that the floor material is mounted to. You will feel the drill bit go through the wall material in a very short distance. Notice the short depth you go to find free space. IF you can hit the flooring material or wood underneath that you will notice that the bit is still drilling deeper than with the wall material. That will give you a more solid surface for the screws to bite into.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #4

Thanks for idea of moving the bracket down a bit to line up with flooring. What I tried first seems to have worked. I upsized the lag screws from 1/4" to 3/8" and 1/2 inch longer. I had to drill larger holes in the bracket to accommodate. Then I cleaned out the holes and filled with gorilla glue fast set epoxy and coated the screws with it and set the lag screws. They are now VERY solid. Problem solved!
Troutd0g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, shamrock