Old 07-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

Awning cleaning

Finally took the time today to clean our very stained awning on our a Rockwood 2604. Used LA's Totally Awesome that I read about on here. We sprayed the awning before we left the campground today, rolled it up and then scrubbed it and sprayed it off when we got home. Looks like a new awning. Oh...and I got the bottle of Awesome at the Dollar Tree for $1! Works better than the $7 bottle of awning cleaner we got at our camping dealership.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #2

I agree...most of the cleaners are the same and you don't have to spend much to make the awning look new again. I have a Rockwood 2306 that is 1.5 yrs old. It was due for a clean a few months ago and used a mixture of bleach, soap, and water with my pole brush. I just wiped it on, rolled it up for 30 minutes, unrolled it and sprayed it with the hose! Looks new.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 07-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #3

Well I have a similar problem. When we picked up the 5er, it was parked very close to other trailers. The tech hit the switch and rolled out the awning to about a foot from the maximum and then took it back in, just to demonstrate the use. (I know, I should have known better!) When we got home, I extended the awning all the way out. WOW! Mud-daubers had built nests with red clay in the strap utility channel. The last foot of the awning is badly stained. I have tried every cleaner I can find - nothing removes the stain. I can't seem to find this "Totally Awesome" cleaner. Where can I find it?
Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
I can't seem to find this "Totally Awesome" cleaner. Where can I find it?
If you don't have a dollar store near you, than Amazon has it... Amazon.com - 2 pack La's Totally Awesome All Purpose Cleaner, Degreaser & Spot Remover 2 bottles total of 40 Oz - Multipurpose Cleaners

I've also used Awesome with my awning and it works great. Here are pictures from early 2013 I believe showing how well the stuff worked with mold and mildew stains.

BEFORE

AFTER

Another one that I used this year is Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner because I was out of the Awesome.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Well I have a similar problem. When we picked up the 5er, it was parked very close to other trailers. The tech hit the switch and rolled out the awning to about a foot from the maximum and then took it back in, just to demonstrate the use. (I know, I should have known better!) When we got home, I extended the awning all the way out. WOW! Mud-daubers had built nests with red clay in the strap utility channel. The last foot of the awning is badly stained. I have tried every cleaner I can find - nothing removes the stain. I can't seem to find this "Totally Awesome" cleaner. Where can I find it?
Just use some bleach mixed with a little Dawn dish soap in water....spray on with a small spray bottle.....roll up for about 30 minutes....rinse off. Still have stains.....repeat with a long handle brush....roll up again. Should take care of it.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #6

Quote:
After you clean,place (rubber/foam Stops in each end of your roll tube utility channel) while stored! There are LOTS of Bugs that like this area for a HOME! Youroo!!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #7

DON'T USE BLEACH! Bleach and many other cleaners will discolor and pit the aluminum roller bar. I started to use a little bleach, lightly sprayed it on, watched the aluminum roller bar, and immediately flushed it with water as I watched it discolor where the bleach hit. I'm off today to get some of the Awesome. Will post a followup post.
Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
If you don't have a dollar store near you, than Amazon has it... Amazon.com - 2 pack La's Totally Awesome All Purpose Cleaner, Degreaser & Spot Remover 2 bottles total of 40 Oz - Multipurpose Cleaners

I've also used Awesome with my awning and it works great. Here are pictures from early 2013 I believe showing how well the stuff worked with mold and mildew stains.

Another one that I used this year is Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner because I was out of the Awesome.
Those are great pictures, reminded me that I had a bottle in the basement & will be using it this weekend. Simple green is great stuff too.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
Where should we go next!

I agree that "LA's Totally awesome is fantastic! I use it on any black streaks when washing down my TT. Only use it on your TT if you hosed down first. If not it will leave a streak. Very powerful stuff.

For the awning though I use "Tilex". Found anywhere, that stuff will make your awning sparkle! Unroll,liberally spray, than roll it back up. Wait a little bit and rinse. You will be impressed. If there's a stubborn stain that doesn't work the first time, I spray a little on that spot, lightly scrub with my pole brush, roll up, let sit a few minutes and than rinse. It will look like new. Smells good too.

Be careful with "LA's Totally Awesome" ,it's a strong chemical and will make your skin tingle after a bit if you get it on you. Its similar to brake parts cleaner except with a fragrance. Follow the dilution recommendations on the bottle. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405434142.334679.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	704.5 KB
ID:	58225

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
Surveyor SV291
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #10

After I clean my awning I use this to help control the mold "Concrobium Mold Control"
it comes as a spray and you leave it on. It seems to help.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning