Old 03-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
Retired Old Fart

Awning has slid on the tube - can't budge it

The last couple of times I've closed the power awning, I noticed it did not fully close the outer support over the wall support section. It's shifted on both sides. First suspect is the awning fabric is not centered and is pulling the assembly as it rolls up.

So today, I spent some time in the trailer and the awning was one of the things I looked at. Yep, as I suspected the fabric has shifted to the right, and it's pulling the supports to one side as it closes. I need to pull the awning fabric back to the left about 1" to get it even on both sides of the tube (it's a little over 2" difference now from one side to the other when measured, so a tad over 1" should even it out).

I tried the "tug on the fabric" thing. Nothing, not a single budge. I tried spraying silicone lube along the 2 channels where the fabric is attached to the roller tube. After about 30 minutes of pushing and pulling, I "might" have moved it 1/4".

Is there some secret to moving the awning fabric on the tube? I double checked for screws and rivets holding it in place and did not see any (but will probably install stainless rivets once I get it back where it belongs. As much of a hassle as this has been, I want to keep it in place).

Any suggestions or ideas?

dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:31 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

It is possible that one of your awning arms is slightly bent...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:42 AM   #3

I remember that I had to center mine, had the same problem until I took the set screw out at the each end where it attached to the wall rail...see if that is holding it. After that I put the set screws in and secured it to the roller.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
Retired Old Fart

I'm pretty sure it has slid on the roller tube and not at the trailer end of the fabric. When it rolls up, you can see it rolling to one side (not straight) and that has to be pulling the arms that direction. The fabric wants to roll to the left which is the direction I need to pull it to even it out. I just can't get it to budge.

I looked at a couple of youtube videos and those just slid on the tube with a tug. No so for me. It's an 18' awning which is longer than the ones in the videos I watched.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #5

Yes Im sure it did but you have to remove them screws first is what I had to do or your not going to be able to budge it. At least that is what i found after hrs. trying to do it, maybe yours is different....Good luck...

Old 03-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

I agree, first make sure there aren’t any screws holding it in place.

Then, here’s how I moved mine:

- stand on a ladder on one end
- firmly grasp the flap of awning fabric with one hand
- with your other hand, SHOVE the awning tube away from you
- roll the awning in/out to see if it’s centered; repeat from either side until you’re happy with the fabric position
Old 03-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #7

You aren't going to like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
I'm pretty sure it has slid on the roller tube and not at the trailer end of the fabric. When it rolls up, you can see it rolling to one side (not straight) and that has to be pulling the arms that direction. The fabric wants to roll to the left which is the direction I need to pull it to even it out. I just can't get it to budge.

I looked at a couple of youtube videos and those just slid on the tube with a tug. No so for me. It's an 18' awning which is longer than the ones in the videos I watched.
The fabric is held onto the roller tube in two places by stuffing it into keyhole crevices in the tube and then sliding long metal rods into the crevices from the end. If you can't get the fabric to slide, here is what you will need to do.

Slide out the rod furthest from the trailer (nearest the awning outer edge). You may need to start it by inserting a small punch at the end and pushing it out. You may have to loosen an end cap (Not the one that holds the spring tension. Pull the fabric out of that keyhole slot. Only remove one rod, not the other.

Now you should be able to slide the fabric along the tube by pulling on the edge while pushing the tube.

Now take a dull 4" putty knife and press the fabric back into the vacant keyhole slot. Maybe take two passes to assure it's all the way in.

Re-insert the rod. Restore end cap if it was removed.

This picture shows only one keyhole slot (at the top). Disregard these instructions if you only have one slot.

Larry
Attached Images

Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #8
Senior Member - Retired

I had to adjust the fabric on my awning roller last month for the second time in a year. Previously mentioned instructions are spot on. This time after I adjusted the fabric on the roller I added a screw at each end of the fabric on the roller which hopefully will preclude the necessity of adjusting the fabric a third time.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #9

We have been in this battle for a bit & have to try it.... can someone post an actual picture of that screw site mentioned?
Thanks....
Old 03-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post

The fabric is held onto the roller tube in two places by stuffing it into keyhole crevices in the tube and then sliding long metal rods into the crevices from the end. If you can't get the fabric to slide, here is what you will need to do.

Slide out the rod furthest from the trailer (nearest the awning outer edge). You may need to start it by inserting a small punch at the end and pushing it out. You may have to loosen an end cap (Not the one that holds the spring tension. Pull the fabric out of that keyhole slot. Only remove one rod, not the other.

Now you should be able to slide the fabric along the tube by pulling on the edge while pushing the tube.

Now take a dull 4" putty knife and press the fabric back into the vacant keyhole slot. Maybe take two passes to assure it's all the way in.

Re-insert the rod. Restore end cap if it was removed.

This picture shows only one keyhole slot (at the top). Disregard these instructions if you only have one slot.

Larry
How old was this ytube? First it looks like a manual awning, second I know of NO dometic awning auto motorized , with any rod holding it in the groove. Of course I could be wrong, but mine was 7 years old, and just had to remove the screws at the wall, but I guess anything could be....

Tags
awning