Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #1

Awning HELP

I had quite a ride Sunday night. Kind of a long story but bear with me.

I pulled my Roo 233s over to a family members property last week and have been helping organize the estate to prepare items that had left behind for auction with my older mother and my 4 year old daughter.

Sunday night my wife had told me on the phone she saw on the news a severe storm was to come though north and west of Spokane where I was staying and I took it with a grain of salt as anything over sprinkling is usually a storm from her news source. I had just gone to the store to get some groceries and from the time I left to the time I returned to the camper there was lightning in the distance and the power in the whole town (Chewelah, WA) was out. Luckily I had my Progressive Industries EMS-HW30c. I went into the camper to explain to my mom and my daughter the power went out and we were running off battery so fans and extra lights needed to be shut down and I was unable to get the groceries.

I check my smart phone weather app and sure enough there was a storm heading our way at around 45-60 mph. Just as soon as I saw that I opened the camper door and the storm was imminent and my awning was flapping hard within minutes of my returning. I began rushing to get my awning put in.

The nylon webbing to roll in the awning had blown off somehow and I could not figure out how I was going to roll up the fabric with frame. However I had already removed the top supports and was struggling to hold down the awning. Finally had a 5 second window to reach the door and yell for help. My mom is older and it is getting hard for her to move around but I had her hold one side of the awning poles down while I held tension on the clutch by hand and manually selected the roll in.

I got the awning in ok but I fear the fabric is stretched and I am unsure how to get the awning back out without the webbing to pull down on. Any ideas?

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #2

I got the awning pulled out yesterday finally. After deploying the "roll out" switch I was able to pull each awning pole out and deploy the awning, although it was hard to pull it out. There was water rolled up into the fabric from the heavy rain we sustained and it began to smell musty. I sprayed the fabric on both side with Clorox Cleanup and re-threaded the nylon webbing "pull" which can only be entered in the roller tube toward the rear of the trailer on my model. After letting the Clorox sit for a while I pulled the awning back out and washed it down and repeated the process again. I left it down to allow to completely dry and it appears that aside from one of the upper support poles being pulled from the track and slightly twisted, no real damage occurred.

Looks like I dodged the bullet! Btw the Clorox Cleanup eliminated the musty smell and got things nice and clean!

Now onto my next trip and it will likely be time to Winterize before classes start this fall!

Old 08-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #3

Glad to see things worked out ok, Good luck in your future adventures, Enjoy!
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

Thanks, hopefully this serves as a reminder for some to remember to put the awning away even if you are not expecting wind. This storm had very little warning for me so it was quite the rodeo. I am just glad I was able to put the awning in and bring it back out with the awning support pole!

Old 08-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #5

Next time don't disregard Wifey's warning. You got lucky my friend.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning