Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #1

Awning holding alot of water

So we're camping this weekend. Second trip in our new camper. We have a 21' electric awning that's great, except the ends are not adjustable. We're getting alot of rain but little wind. While sitting out watching the rain, we realized the awning was draining poorly and had a large bulge in the middle where water was building up. We drained it by pushing the awning up with a broom every so often. Are there any tricks or mods to help relieve this problem? We closed the awning up before finishing for the night to prevent possible damage or failure of the awning. Any thoughts from folks with this awning type would be appreciated.
2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Diesel
TheFlagGang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #2

My power awning has a knob on each of the arms that you can tighten to "lock" it. My awning "auto" dumps if i leave those knobs loose not sure if your awnung has the same feature. You can alo pull down one corner to drain
Old 05-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #3

Slotted linkage (WAS) available for the older design units,to allow them to (DUMP). See dealer (good luck) or contact MFG with make & model# in hand. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #4

My 08 also lacked the "auto dump" feature- I got a free kit from the dealer- while still under warranty, and installed it on the rear awning frame. I leave the black knob loose all the time- the gas strut holds it up until rainwater weight becomes more than the shock holds up, then it tilts the awning, and pours it off. Pretty cool addition, and solves the problem. They started putting them on there as standard equipment in late 2009. Ask the dealer about the kit- it isn't too expensive anyway, and easy to do it yourself, with a helper. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I'll be checking on this tomorrow. We enjoyed the awning except for having to nominate someone to put down their beer and raise the area holding water with a broom. On second thought, this might be an interesting drinking game
Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #6

I contacted Dometic. They needed the hardware model number located on the awning arms. They will send the retrofit adjustable pitch kit to my dealer FREE of charge. The dealer just has to order it.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #7

Outstanding! That number is on rhe arm with the motor on it, next to the sidewall. Always good to hear a happy ending, and nice to know it is still available free of charge! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning