Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #1

Awning hole covered under warranty?

Question: Has anyone had a hole in their awning and successfully had the awning replaced under warranty?

Background: Just purchased the travel trailer and after the first trip out we noticed the hole in the awning. I don't remember seeing the hole while inspecting the unit at the dealership, but we were also in doors. I noticed the hole once it was in full sunlight, and the sunlight was shining through the hole onto the side of the travel trailer. I contacted the closest Forest River RV dealership to me and they were not exactly helpful, basically told me that A. it was not a forest river issue, it would be the awning manufacturer's issue and that b. the awning manufacturer's pretty much do not cover a hole. He offered to have me set up an appointment to get a photograph taken and submit, but his offer seemed more to placate me than to have the issue addressed. If others have successfully gotten an awning covered under warranty I am interested in learning your story, if Forrest River handled it or if it was the awning manufacturer, if you delt with them directly or went through a dealer, etc...

2013 Ford F150 Super-Crew
2014 Heritage Glen 312qbud
jjm901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #2

I had my awning replaced under warranty. When we did our inspection the TT was in the bldg and we extended the awning and inspected it with no issues. We went camping a week later and only after the awning was extended and it warmed up did we notice it had 3 bubbles about the size of a golf ball. Took to dealer and they photographed it and sent it to manufacturer. Awning replaced with no issues.

I wouldn't think yours would be covered, but you won't know until you get it photographed and they submit it to the company. Good luck though!
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If the hole was present with your new trailer than it is covered under warranty.

I don't have my paperwork in front of me to check on the actual warranty coverage, but I would try to get it covered by the awning manufacturer, who in my case is Dometic.

However, I would go through my dealer for this and have them expedite the claim. I wonder why you would go through the "closest" Forest River dealer rather than your own? Your selling dealer is much more willing to do this than is a dealer you did not buy from.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I wonder why you would go through the "closest" Forest River dealer rather than your own?
I agree the selling dealer is by far the best choice, but to answer your question...

one word: Convenience.

For many shoppers the closest Forest River dealer may be 10-15 miles away while their purchasing dealer may be several hundred or more miles away, which also hits the pocket book.

For example- if my purchasing dealer was 250 miles away, at a towing fuel efficiency of 10MPG, it would take me 50 gallons of fuel round trip at $3.30/gal that is $165 out of my pocket. On the other hand, if there is a reputable forest river dealer closer to home, say 15 miles away, it would be 30 miles round trip and only 3 gallons of gas, $10. Thats $155 in my pocket if I can get the "closest" dealer to take care of the warranty item. So if someone could get their RV/travel trailer fixed for $10 or $165, I am not sure many would choose to pay the later unless the "closest" dealer won't do the work.

2013 Ford F150 Super-Crew
2014 Heritage Glen 312qbud
jjm901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I understand. It makes 100% sense if you find a good service center near you that is happy to help. It just didn't sound as if the closer dealer was willing to jump the hoops to your satisfaction.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm901 View Post
I agree the selling dealer is by far the best choice, but to answer your question...

one word: Convenience.

For many shoppers the closest Forest River dealer may be 10-15 miles away while their purchasing dealer may be several hundred or more miles away, which also hits the pocket book.

For example- if my purchasing dealer was 250 miles away, at a towing fuel efficiency of 10MPG, it would take me 50 gallons of fuel round trip at $3.30/gal that is $165 out of my pocket. On the other hand, if there is a reputable forest river dealer closer to home, say 15 miles away, it would be 30 miles round trip and only 3 gallons of gas, $10. Thats $155 in my pocket if I can get the "closest" dealer to take care of the warranty item. So if someone could get their RV/travel trailer fixed for $10 or $165, I am not sure many would choose to pay the later unless the "closest" dealer won't do the work.
I noticed when I was up there this weekend that they closed the dealer in Englewood. Are you using Arbogast?
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #7

Our Forest River dealer, Poulsbo RV is saying that our 3050 awning fabric is not covered under warranty even though two holes were visible upon delivery. It is likely a Dometic warranty issue but I sure do not think I should be paying for a factory defect.
PNW 2016 3050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #8

Talk to the selling dealer. His service dept PDI should have caught this problem. Tell him so. He will be paid for his time. Then call FR to keep the dealer honest!
Also Contact Dometic. They are reasonable people and prefer good reviews vs. bad. I am betting on you becoming a satisfied customer.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning