Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #1

Unhappy awning installation question....

I have recently purchased a 2004 Rockwood 5th Wheel (model 8281SS), which was an upgrade from the 1984 Prowler that I had, parked in my RV campground.

From the old trailer, we had removed the insulated awning (hard awning) from that trailer, and would like to install it on the new trailer.

So, we removed the roll out awning, and determined that we needed to move up the awning track about 2 inches, to allow for the trailer door to open.

We have tried researching how to do this (the how is not really the problem, its more the "should"), and haven't come across anyone else who has attempted this.

We have been told that the weight of this awning is not suitable for the Rockwood, and the additional weight that would occur from having snow sitting on it over the winter (I'm writing from Toronto, Ontario)

Can anyone tell me if this is a problem or not? We are extremely nervous to drill holes into the trailer. The existing holes have already been filled.

We are determined to get this hard awning up. We have been spoiled by the lack of pulling in and out of the roll out.
ford08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:00 AM   #2

If you decide to move the track up, make sure you find the header at the top of the camper or find all studs that make up the span of the track. Hopefully someone will chime in and have an answer for you.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
Site Team

to FRF! Good luck. In looking at the unit I see no reason you couldn't move the track up two inches. Since that's an aluminum framed RV you NEED to know how the frame is layed out. It could be that they just ran a horizontal frame member along the height of the track and attached it to that. I'd contact Forest River and see if they'd give you a layout of the frame. An alternative would be to get an electronic stud finder and use it to locate the frame members where you need to move it to. On my unit on a cool damp morning I can see the outline of most of the frame by the condensation at the frame members.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses!
ford08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning