Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #1

Awning -metal cover?

My new TT has a metal cover over the awning. When I go to extend it out it seams to get stuck and I have to give it a little push to get it going. it appears that the cover is holding it back because of the weight . Is this normal ?? And has anyone else had this happen. When I brought it to my dealers attention ay the PDI he said that it just had to be used and worked in. My awning is 21ft If there is someone that has a 21ft awning with a metal cover pleas let my know how your experience is thank you.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #2

My awnings have been 20 footers and the metal weather shield weight has never interfered with the awning function. The shield is aluminum and very light. Might be that your awning has slipped in the roller slot and with it fully extended you should be able to pull the awning to re-center on the roller tube. If your unit is not pretty close to level when deploying a 21 foot awning there might also be some resistance.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:53 PM   #3

Hi my dealer gave me the same line of bull with my 21' awning on my new tt also at the pid. The awning arms will open 1-2 inches and stop. The fabric will unfurl under the metal cover and just drape down. If you give it a little push it will snap open and work just fine. I have opened it 30-40 times and same problem will not open with out help. I took it to dealer he tried to center the awning this did not help. He replaced one of the arms and piston and this did not help. dealer is waiting for demotic to get back to him on what to do next.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:52 AM   #4

Thanks Tim, I knew this wasn't normal I have the same exact issue. Please let me know how you make out. One thing I did notice was the roller tube is so long that it is flexing in the middle and I thought this might be causing it ?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #5

Hi hide out the tube on my awning is flexing also and I made sure it was not bent. It is just the length and gravity causing it to bow. I have sent an email to dometic service department to see how far I can get to find a fix.

Tim
Old 05-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Hi hide out the tube on my awning is flexing also and I made sure it was not bent. It is just the length and gravity causing it to bow. I have sent an email to dometic service department to see how far I can get to find a fix.Tim
There is a fix, but you have to pull the end out of the tube and insert one of these. Kinda costly, but it does take the bow out.

MX57 (*Single unit) - MX57
Old 05-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #7

Hi hide out this is the repose I revived form dometic and the information I sent them

CustomerSupportCenter

Good Morning Tim,
I have attached the operation manual for your power awning. I am sorry that we are not able to provide technical assistance. Unfortunately there would be a liability issue providing technical trouble shooting and/or diagnosis via email. Dometic has authorized service centers/dealers that assist with trouble shooting and diagnosing. Your dealer will be able to contact Dometic for assistance.

We appreciate this opportunity to address your situation and hope all of your future travels are trouble free. Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time to order parts or for further assistance.

Sincerely,
Michelle Meyers
Customer Support Center
Dometic Corporation
800-544-4881
www.edometic.com
Dometic USA Start

To ensure an accurate response, please respond by 'Reply'-ing to "customersupportcenter@dometicusa.com". The email address that this reply came from does not accept incoming email. Also, please add prior correspondence to all future emails.

To: customersupportcenter@dometicusa.com
Date: 05/10/2015 12:54 PM
Subject: Contact Form from dometicusa.com

Subject: Service

Message: Hi I just perched a flagstaff 30wikss v-lite travel trailer. I am having trouble with dometic awning model #917ns2100ilv serial #50194841. The awning will not open with out a push to help open it. When I push the switch to open the awning the motor starts the arms open about 1-2 inches and stops. The motor continues to run the awning drum around which just unfurls the awning under the metal cover. At this point with the fabric draped down under the metal cover/drum I give the awning a small push open it snaps open and will unroll open the rest of the way with no help. The awning will close with no problem and rolls up with no wrinkles and appears to not pull to one side. I don't believe it is misaligned. The dealership has been working on it and can not find a fix for this problem. Can you please give me information on how to fix this problem?
Thank you Tim
PleaseVerifyThatYouArePerson: Yes

Not much help Tim
Old 05-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #8

Hi Tim, Looks like Dometic was no help . Ill have to call my Dealer and see what he says. Unfortunately My Dealer had a major Fire at the Dealership this past Saturday and the repair shop was destroyed I don't mind helping the awning a little since I can reach it from where the switch is but I do want it fixed and There is no other problems with the TT as of now so I guess Ill just enjoy it for a while till my Dealer gets up and running again. Keep me posted on your progress as will I. Happy Camping
Old 05-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #9

I have the same issue with mine.
No solution from my dealer either.
Let me know if you come up with a permanent fix.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Me, being me, would liberally soak the entire length of the metal pivots portion with a silicone spray and let it soak. Can't do any harm and it might just fix the problem.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Me, being me, would liberally soak the entire length of the metal pivots portion with a silicone spray and let it soak. Can't do any harm and it might just fix the problem.
Don't know if that would help maybe give it a try . I think the problem is because of the long span (21ft) and the bow it creates the motor cant lift the bow out because of the weight of the metal cover with just a little lift it gets past the cover and its fine fortunately my switch is right by the door and I can open it and lift it at the same time and it works for me but it is annoying don't know how dealer can fix that maybe some type of center support. I cant do much now because where I park I can only deploy it half way out

Tags
awning, cover