Old 10-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Awning - OH NO !!!

Well....first (and possibly last) attempt at "winter camping" - we went for Halloween weekend here in Central VA - got sleet/snow. I'm used to the rain - you put one end lower than the other and the rain runs away from the trailer.....well - it started as rain - switched to sleet - then a little snow. The mush slid down and instead of running off....evidently created a dam and the slush created a mess and the weight caused a "bulge" and the roller arm now has a beautiful bend in it. Is there a way to "unbend" the arm? Yes....I didn't listen to my wife and buy a center support for it......that will be taken care before the next season....or am I buying a whole new arm?

I'm just the driver
She's the boss
He's the assistant

Our Shih Tzus are the crew.
Roswell-N-Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Lottery Non-Winner
I'm only guessing, but I think you'd be better off with a whole new arm.

I'm only guessing, but I think you'd be better off listening to Marsha.

2011 Georgetown 337
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Welcome! And we're practically neighbors. Hopefully it will be a minor repair for you. If you have a really good dealer/service department maybe you can get it fixed inexpensively. I traveled out west this summer and while touring Mount Rushmore an ice storm knocked out two of my vent covers. Good ole duct tape allowed us to enjoy the rest of the trip without any leaks. When I got back I took the fifth wheel in for some warranty work and they also replaced the vent covers with unbreakable covers and didn't charge me anything! I hate it that they are 2.5 hours away but you can't beat the service.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
The same thing happened to us in our old TT, only with torrential rain. We filed an insurance claim & they took care of everything & it didn't raise our insurance. It's worth looking into!!!
2009 Dodge Ram 3500
2012 Forest River Sandpiper 346RET
RIP 2006 Fleetwood Pegasus 8/23/11
Gone but not 4 gotten
bee191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
Well Roswell, we all need to listen to our wives(sometimes). I hear mine but try not to listen. This apparently is one of those "I told you so" times. My first one(trailer) did not have a roller support. I left the awning open one afternoon while we went shopping. We were not going to be gone long. Then I heard it; that rumble of thunder and the cold wind. The sickening feeling knowing that the awning would be full of water(I didn't slope it) made the drive back a long one. Upon returning, the awning had probably 200 lbs of water. Dummy me, the first thing I did was pull the latch on one of the support arms and immediatly it was jerked out of my hand as the weight of the water was more than I had expected. I could have been seriously hurt for I was standing under the awning. Yes my roller was permanently bent. I tried bending it back straight by resting it on a step ladder and a person pulling down on each end. Metal is not supposed to be bent without heating and then it needs to be under a controlled situation. Needless to say, I still was able to use the awning but was diligent in sloping it and bringing the support arms all the way down if we were leaving for any amount of time. Hope things work out for you.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Had a similiar incident last year were I didn't slope my awning and it created a puddle of water in the middle. Several camping trips afterward, I noticed that the awning always had a slope in it and it wasn't tight. When I would role up the awning it would role up uneven. I took it to the dealer and was told the roller was bent and the awning was ruined. So $980 later I had everything replaced. I submit a claim under my insurance and only paid the $500 ded. Now I'm very cautious about the awning were as I prefer to not put it out if its going to rain or if its going to rain lightly I will slope it and put the tie downs on.

Oh and I had dealer install a center support for the tube so when the awning is rolled up there is some support in the middle for when we are traveling or it sits awhile.

One mistake I will not forget. My insurance company, Progressive, had the adjuster at the dealer same day I called and was approved for a new awning. That day a new order went out for a roller and awning. I was back in business about 2 weeks.
2014 Wildwood 300BH
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
2011 Ford F350 FX4
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
I have the center support on my awning and it was sloped for drainage but it was still no match for 4 inches of hail. The hail did not run off and stretched the awning creating an area where the water would not drain over the center support. Nothing got bent but the awning sags now and rolls up unevenly. Will have to make sure that I don't make the same mistake on our new trailer
Todd & Sheila and kids
Rouleau, Saskatchewan
2012 Surveyor SV-305
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
well - thanks to all for the advice. I did marry Miss Right....Her first name should have been Imalways....I'll be here all week....try the veal.... Looks like the best thing is to bite the bullet this upcoming spring and get a new awning.
I'm just the driver
She's the boss
He's the assistant

Our Shih Tzus are the crew.
Roswell-N-Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
Our last camper was a hybrid, the first time we took it out, we set it up, on a sunny day. A gust of wind came, and blew the whole thing over the top of the camper. We had to replace both arms...On the first trip.
2004 Chevy Avalanche Z66 W/Transmission Cooler
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
I did the same thing as TIMEX. Full of water stupid me pulled a handle. BAM - slammed down and broke my awning right in half and the roof hinge came off. I had to get someone out to remove it - $350 - and my insurance - USAA - covered everything else. I took it in and the dealer replaced it in a day once the entire awning came in. I don't leave it out if I'm not there and raise it if any rain comes up. ed

semlohde is offline   Reply With Quote