Old 03-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #1

Awning problem

Hello,

This is my first posting.

I own a 2008 Rockwood 8296 SS that I purchased last July. We are in Florida for the winter. My problem is that whenever is rains a lot the water collects on top of my electric awning. I see that people with awnings that pull down by hand lower one of the corners to allow the water to flow off. I can not do this for the electric awning. Dose anyone have an idea what I could do short of raising it up before any storm? That defeats keeping items under the awning dry.

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #2

Well first off, I would like to you to FRF. I have the old manual type that tilts and I do know that the new electric awning can be tilted. There are some members here may have a solution, so hold on someone will chime in I am sure. Good luck

Old 03-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Grape Escape

There is a retrofit kit available to allow one end to tilt. Do a search in regards to electric awning problems either here or on Rockwood/Flagstaff forum. Lots of info
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:07 AM   #4

Our A&E Weatherpro came with a collapsible section in the rear arm, it has a spring that when the weight of the water overcomes the tension it allows that arm to drop on it's own and drain the water. However we rarely manage to get the rig in a state that will allow water to run to the back side for this arm to work, therefore I am looking into buying another one from Dometic to put in the front arm. What I have done to this point is to roll the awning about half way in which doesn't allow so much water to pool and it does eventually run off. I have to say that if it weren't for the passenger side slide room that necessitates this kind of awning I would rather have an old manual one.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:17 AM   #5

If you contact your dealer, there is a retro kit available from dometic. They will only ship the kit to the dealer. They might put it on for you, but it is an easy job to do yourself. It does take two people, since you have to hold up one side of the awning, but it is still an easy fix. The kit is nothing more than an adjustable arm added to the bottom of one of the side arm's. I had my dealer get this kit for me, and they shipped it to me (my charge) and I installed it myself. Here's the Dometic part# for the kit if your interested
3312508.017B

Good Luck, and welcome to the forum.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 670johndeere View Post
If you contact your dealer, there is a retro kit available from dometic. They will only ship the kit to the dealer. They might put it on for you, but it is an easy job to do yourself. It does take two people, since you have to hold up one side of the awning, but it is still an easy fix. The kit is nothing more than an adjustable arm added to the bottom of one of the side arm's. I had my dealer get this kit for me, and they shipped it to me (my charge) and I installed it myself. Here's the Dometic part# for the kit if your interested
3312508.017B

Good Luck, and welcome to the forum.
I asked my dometic dealer about this and was told that because we already have the spring loaded arm on the one arm that this retro kit does not apply to us. The spring loaded section IS the retrofit is what they told me. Is this arm you received spring loaded or do you manually lower the arm? I would be wiling to pay for it to fix our particular problem.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 03-18-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Our A&E Weatherpro came with a collapsible section in the rear arm, it has a spring that when the weight of the water overcomes the tension it allows that arm to drop on it's own and drain the water. However we rarely manage to get the rig in a state that will allow water to run to the back side for this arm to work, therefore I am looking into buying another one from Dometic to put in the front arm. What I have done to this point is to roll the awning about half way in which doesn't allow so much water to pool and it does eventually run off. I have to say that if it weren't for the passenger side slide room that necessitates this kind of awning I would rather have an old manual one.
Our tilt arm has worked very well. It does dump quite a bit of water, a gallon or two, when it works.
I remember the first time we had the RV out and it rained during the night. There was nothing in the forecast about rain, but as I explained in another Thread, I control the weather. We camp, it rains! That's why the Tag on the RV reads RAYNMKR. Someone beat me to the tag with the I. I awoke to the sound of the water crashing down on my gas grill and table. I thought we were under attack. From a dead sleep to BOOM. We no longer place anything near that end of the awning, but I do like the fact it's at the rear instead of at the front where our entrance door is.

Just showing the rain!!!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
The new tilt arm works great. It replaces the non power wire arm. For me this was my main entry door at the rear of the trailer. I was only able to tilt it an inch or inch and half due to the door dragging. But it was just enough. The rain drained perfect last week while we were on spring break. I also bought a set of Happy Hook awning tie downs to help with the wind. They really worked great.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Our tilt arm has worked very well. It does dump quite a bit of water, a gallon or two, when it works.
I remember the first time we had the RV out and it rained during the night. There was nothing in the forecast about rain, but as I explained in another Thread, I control the weather. We camp, it rains! That's why the Tag on the RV reads RAYNMKR. Someone beat me to the tag with the I. I awoke to the sound of the water crashing down on my gas grill and table. I thought we were under attack. From a dead sleep to BOOM. We no longer place anything near that end of the awning, but I do like the fact it's at the rear instead of at the front where our entrance door is.

Just showing the rain!!!!
cfsoistman: If you remember from the other thread on leveling the RV where I said that our rig is nose down hill all the time, this is what is creating our problem along with fact that we have the passenger side slide and the awning has to come out in a straight out shot and cant really slope much. Our spring arm is located on the back same as yours but it just never works. I have had enough water build up to sag the awning and the spring arm but it doesn't run off because even through we are "level" we are just slightly nose low in most cases so the water can't run to the rear even if the spring collapses. For this reason I want to put another spring arm on the front. I have played with the leveling calibration but to no avail. I have to find a site that is a bit nose high so that when we pull in the floor of the rig is almost level to begin with, that way the levlers just become stabilizers. I have also learned from another RVr in Moab, UT when we were there that the awning will unroll itself too far creating a trough at the roller that helps to catch water. He showed me that I have to manually stop or roll the awning back up just enough to have the flap on the front pointing straight down. I have found this helps but the spring arm still doesn't do it's job. I have to wonder of anyone at these companies like Dometic or Lippert or anyone that makes RV products actually goes out and uses them on a real rig to see how their ideas translate to real world use. The power awning is a great idea but in reality is seems that most owners would go back to a manual if they could, at least that is the feeling I get when I read other forum posts on the matter.

P.S. I know how the rain thing works. Up here we know when it's going to rain because it will be on our weekend.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 03-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Thankfully I don't have an electric awning, nor would I ever want one. However, the problem you are describing is easy to understand and I'm wondering if the following would help. Yes, you would need a ladder in your situation but it might be worth the hassle if you plan on staying someplace for more than just overnight.

Awnbrella at Camping World. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-set-of-2/2843

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning