Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #1

Awning Rail Misalignment

When rolling in my awning, the horizontal rails no longer seat or line up with the fixed vertical rails on the side of the camper. What is causing this?

John
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #2

The awning has moved in the roller tube. Slide the material in the tube and try again.
BessieHunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #3

Today I tried to adjust my awning so the brackets, both horizontal and vertical, line up when the awning is retracted. Both top and bottom of the awning is secured so it doesn’t move. The bottom has the gray plastic rod cut to the length of the main tube so it doesn’t move. The top has a screw in it to prevent movement. All looks square but still having the misalignment problem at the top.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3252 (1).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	153804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3251.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	153805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3248.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	153806  
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 10-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #4

measure the distance from the edge of the awning to the cap on the roller tube. they should be the same distance on both sides of the awning.if not roll the awning out,leaving a little slack in them awning fabric. adjust the fabric until it is equal distance on both sides.i adjusted mine by holding the edge of the awning and hitting mine with my hand near the roller until it it centered on the roller.
if that doesn't correct the problem check the awning arms. if you have self draining or an adjustable arm to tilt the awning,make sure it is not stuck and fully extended before you roll in the awning.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #5

I don’t understand how the fabric could or would move as both top and bottom are pinned.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #6

We started having alignment issues when our awning started stretching some. I think ours is in the 21' range and I guess it was just a matter of time before the material started stretching and making it roll up uneven.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Today I tried to adjust my awning so the brackets, both horizontal and vertical, line up when the awning is retracted. Both top and bottom of the awning is secured so it doesn’t move. The bottom has the gray plastic rod cut to the length of the main tube so it doesn’t move. The top has a screw in it to prevent movement. All looks square but still having the misalignment problem at the top.

John
John I have the same issue on the 2nd awning I have on my 3rd slide. I have observed the same as you as far as being secured. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #8

My awning also is out of alignment. For the life of me, I can’t get it to slide back to the proper position. It will not budge.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

The material moves on the tube, it should be centered on the roller and pop riveted in place once it is centered. You might want to try spraying some silicone lube all along the tube where the material is attached to the roller (2 places, one on each side of the roller).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pop Rivet in Awning.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	156283  
Old 11-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #10

I also noticed that what I call the cover would not set correctly, IMO, onto the vertical awning rails. I also ran into what JohnF has described, the awning had a screw in it at the top and those gray, rubber type splines at the roller tube. Yes, my measurements from the awning roller to the awning edge were way off also. I was having no luck with trying to move the awning material in the roller tube. I wound up letting the awning not quite all the way out, then placed an 8 ft. step ladder under the awning tube and opened it all the way. The roller tube rested on the top of the ladder and that gave me slack in the awning material. I had to pull out some of the grey spline type material and cut 1 1/2" off of one end to get the awning material to move. Once I did get the material to move the awning rolled back to the TT as it should with the cover thingy's covering the vertical bars. My previous TT did have rivets to hold the outer end of the awning material in place and this may be what I do if this awning material moves again.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconley View Post
My awning also is out of alignment. For the life of me, I can’t get it to slide back to the proper position. It will not budge.
Fully/overly extend the awning.

Stand on a ladder at one end.

Firmly hold onto the awning with one hand.

Shove the awning tube with your other.

Retract and test for alignment.

Repeat as necessary (possibly even going to the other end if you over did it).
Old 11-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #12

"epennydad": That is what I tried at first but found the awning material was too tight to move. That is why I placed the step ladder under the awning, allowed the awning roller tube to rest on the ladder allowing some slack in the material. After that the awning material was rather easy to move.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post

John
John, the Gray Plastic piece should be the Same length as the Material! I think your Material has Moved,I don't think the Gray piece is a Stop! Dirt and Bugs can invade the awning slots and Bind/Lock up the Material,soapy warm water and Awsome will provide some Lube for movement! Also "Stay on the Road and Quit Hitting Tree Limbs" with the Awning Arms,Helps! Youroo!!
Old 11-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
John, the Gray Plastic piece should be the Same length as the Material! I think your Material has Moved,I don't think the Gray piece is a Stop! Dirt and Bugs can invade the awning slots and Bind/Lock up the Material,soapy warm water and Awsome will provide some Lube for movement! Also "Stay on the Road and Quit Hitting Tree Limbs" with the Awning Arms,Helps! Youroo!!
youroo,
I've seen several awnings where the grey plastic rod (spline) was cut longer than the material and long enough on either end of the material to take up the 1-2 inches of the slot in the roller tube.

The theory (if cut correctly) is the spline bumps up against the roller tube cap on either end eliminating the need to pop rivet the fabric to hold it centered.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
youroo,
I've seen several awnings where the grey plastic rod (spline) was cut longer than the material and long enough on either end of the material to take up the 1-2 inches of the slot in the roller tube.

The theory (if cut correctly) is the spline bumps up against the roller tube cap on either end eliminating the need to pop rivet the fabric to hold it centered.
The gray spline "Slides Through the Material" unless it is Attached,Rivet/Glue the Material can still move! Yes the gray spline could be captured between the End Caps,but the material can move! Youroo!!
Old 11-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The gray spline "Slides Through the Material" unless it is Attached,Rivet/Glue the Material can still move! Yes the gray spline could be captured between the End Caps,but the material can move! Youroo!!
Gotcha!
The ones I seen like that, the spline was stitched to the material.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, awning