Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
Owner/Operator

Received an email from Dometic (A&E). This is the phone number for the Awning Motor Recall:

1-888-943-4905

RodeoGeorge

All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
Received an email from Dometic (A&E). This is the phone number for the Awning Motor Recall:

1-888-943-4905

RodeoGeorge
Thank you for the number!

Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #13

I telephoned the number (888) 943-4905 at Dometic recall. Spoke to a person that displayed a total confusion on processing the search for recall. She requested the following information: Name, address, telephone number, RV serial number, chassis serial number, brand of RV. She did not initially request the serial number of the awning. BUT, eventually, she did accept it. My awning motor is on recall. Dometic will request a desired location for repair. They then will issue a recall ID case#. Another department receives the information and will place a return telephone to you for repair authorization. I have requested Camping World. They have not called me to authorize this requested repair location. I will post their response in the near future. As a matter of general information, my Flagstaff TT was manufactured in February, 2013.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
Owner/Operator

The good, the bad, and the unknown.

I called the Awning Recall number, and submitted the information to the representative. She admitted that she knew nothing about the details of the recall, and took the pertinent info creating a Customer Reference Number.

When she asked for the "Model Number" I gave her the RV model number thinking that since she asked for this immediately after asking for the VIN that is the model she wanted.

Received a call back about an hour later telling me that the model number that I submitted is not in the recall. When I was insistent, she cheerfully referred me to a supervisor.

Found out from the supervisor that the model number they needed is what is listed on the awning tag as the "P/N" (917GL08.001U). Even with that number, the supervisor told me that my awnings (2 on the 8289WS) are not in the recall.

I explained to the supervisor that with serial numbers of 306XXXXX (which falls between the 305XXXXX and 314XXXXX) and a manufacture date on the awning of 2/19/13 in LaGrange (which falls between the 2/13 and 4/9 dates) I do not understand how the motors are not listed on the recall.

The supervisor could not answer that question, and said she would send the info up the line for an answer.

I await that answer.

Question: Has anyone else with like type data (S/N and Date) been told that their awning is not in the recall?

RodeoGeorge
Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #15

Smile

RodeoGeorge: On the "Appliance Information Sheet" which accompanies the RV from the factory, the Dometic Awning is listed as "model number", followed by the "serial number" for the awning. Then the awning arms are listed as either "non" or "power." Obviously the recall pertains to the electric motor. So, following the entry of "power" is a serial number for the power activated arms. They will need these serial numbers and awning model number.

In my case, Dometic called me back within one hour. They requested to know the current location of the RV. They stressed not to drive it and elected to send a RV mobile repairman to my residence. I had initially requested Camping World, but they recognized a lengthy drive (90 miles) and potential liability, should the awning open. If you have to drive to a repair location, I recommend you tie the awning arms, etc. with rope or velcro.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by l001952119 View Post
... If you have to drive to a repair location, I recommend you tie the awning arms, etc. with rope or velcro.
Tying the arms will not stop the roller from turning which is the problem. You have to lock the roller.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by l001952119 View Post
RodeoGeorge: On the "Appliance Information Sheet" which accompanies the RV from the factory, the Dometic Awning is listed as "model number", followed by the "serial number" for the awning. Then the awning arms are listed as either "non" or "power." Obviously the recall pertains to the electric motor. So, following the entry of "power" is a serial number for the power activated arms. They will need these serial numbers and awning model number.

In my case, Dometic called me back within one hour. They requested to know the current location of the RV. They stressed not to drive it and elected to send a RV mobile repairman to my residence. I had initially requested Camping World, but they recognized a lengthy drive (90 miles) and potential liability, should the awning open. If you have to drive to a repair location, I recommend you tie the awning arms, etc. with rope or velcro.
Where do I start? Okay, let's take the motor. The motor is part of the FRTA (Fabric & Roller Tube Assembly) not a part of the Arm, which is a portion of the Awning Hardware Kit.

I dug out my Appliance Information Sheet, and that added even more confusion to the issue. For example, on the 9' Model 917GL09.001U the Appliance Sheet lists the Serial # as 30694368, but the tag on the awning fabric lists the Serial # as 30694380. On the 8' Model 917GL08.001U the Appliance Sheet lists the Serial # as 30694402, but the tag on the awning fabric lists the Serial # as 30694412.

Under Awning Arms on the Appliance Information Sheet is lists the Awning Arms as Model # 8952002.400B, however this is the Model # for a WHITE arm. There are also Serial #s listed for both arm entries, but there is not tag or placard on the awning hardware unless it is on the surface that has been mounted against the RV.

I think I will call the Dometic Awning Recall number again tomorrow and have them run the Serial #s that are on the Appliance Information Sheet and see what they come up with.

As of now, I'm waiting for Dometic to get back to me on why with Serial Numbers in the recall range, and build dates for the awnings (2/19/13) in the recall range, mine are not on the list.

Don't you just love the fun we have with our RVs. LOL

RodeoGeorge
Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #18

RodeoGeorge, were you able to get the Dometic Recall folks to run the power awning serial numbers that appear on your Forest River Appliance Information Sheet, to determine whether or not those serial numbers (which differ from the serial numbers shown on your actual awning labels) may be affected by the recall?

Reason I ask is, I called the Dometic Recall Number this morning in connection with my two awnings (a 16' and an 8') on my new Rockwood 8329SS.

According to the labels on my two awning rollers, both of my awnings are model numbers applicable to the recall, and both were assembled on the same affected date as were your two awnings - 02/19/13, which is reportedly within the suspect window of time.

The serial numbers displayed on my two awning roller labels are within the initially specified range of affected serial numbers, and coincidentally again like yours, the serial numbers appearing on my two awning roller labels do not agree with the serial numbers appearing on my Forest River Appliance Information Sheet.

My TT has the same Diamond Package color scheme as does yours, and the awning arm model numbers shown on my FR Appliance Info Sheet are the same as those shown on your Info Sheet. Like you, I cannot find any awning model numbers marked on my actual awning arms.

After taking all my information (TT manufacturer, make, model, VIN, awning model numbers and awning serial numbers), the Dometic customer service representative checked and double-checked my awning serial numbers against her list of recalled power awnings, and came back to assure me that neither of my awnings is included in the present recall.

Like you have also done, I then reiterated to her the facts that (i) both my coach and my power awnings were manufactured during the suspect window of time, (ii) both of my awnings are model numbers applicable to the recall, and (iii) both of my awnings' serial numbers fall within the suspect range of serial numbers affected by the recall.

I then went on to tell her (as you also have done) about the two different serial numbers listed on my Forest River Appliance Information Sheet for my two awnings, and I then asked her to please also run those two different serial numbers, simply to see if perhaps they may be included in the recall.

Unfortunately, she declined to run the different serial numbers shown on my Forest River Appliance Information Sheet. Instead, she advised and assured me that regardless of what my FR Info Sheet may say, the serial numbers actually marked on my awning roller labels are the serial numbers for my awnings and are also the serial numbers which she must check. She then assured me once again that neither of my awning serial numbers is included in the present recall.

I then asked what problem is this present recall specifically intended to correct, and she replied that it will correct a problem of affected awnings possibly unfurling during transit.

She went on to provide me with my assigned Customer Number, which she said I can call back anytime to inquire further. I believe I will call back in a couple of weeks, just to see if anything may have changed in the way they are attempting to identify the awnings affected by the recall.

In the meantime, my wife and I intend to go camping this coming weekend.

Rodeo, good luck with yours!

Mike
Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
Owner/Operator

Mikev,

You have very accurately described exactly what I experienced. When I attempted to have Dometic run the Serial Numbers that are on the Appliance Sheet, I was told that the numbers on the actual awning fabric tag are the ones that determine the recall. And also told that my two Model/Serial Number combinations are not on recall.

I also have the Customer Reference Number that was assigned.

I have asked the service manager at the dealer where I purchased the RV to contact Forest River and inquire into the recall, but I'm not sure that will happen.

It would be nice if someone from FR would post something in this Forum to maybe clarify the recall issue with regards to their products.

Thanks for your contribution to the "great awning recall mystery". LOL

RodeoGeorge
Old 04-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #20

Maybe (for instance) all of the odd serial numbers are made at one plant and the even serial numbers are made at a different plant (or machine line or some such). I do think they should explain better what the situation is, but in the end, you should trust them as to which serial numbers are involved.