Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Products - Dometic

This one came on our unit and it is quite nice. My SIL and hubby's K-Z unit has the carefree Eclipse unit. Both are nice but IMO the Carefree seems to be a bit sturdier. Our Edgewater had a Dometic manual awning and I will never go back to a manual awning siply for the speed you can retract the power ones when a storm blows in and it is just nice to push a button at bed time and when leaving the CG. VS screwing around with a rod to flip the switch on the roll and then hold the awning while retracting it so it goes back gently.

Carefree Eclipse Patio Awning
Thanks for the info, I am leaning towards the Carefree travler or maybe the dometic 9100.

I really need to see them both in person and decide the one I want. I would like for my wife to be able to depoly and retract the awning without any help. that is why I am leaning towards a power awning. Thanks everyone and TheSasks for the info.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
Grape Escape

Call me old fashioned but give me a manual one any day. So much more usefull. Hardly a big deal to extend or retract it but then again todays world demands little effort at anything. Perhaps it explains the bulging waistlines.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Call me old fashioned but give me a manual one any day. So much more usefull. Hardly a big deal to extend or retract it but then again todays world demands little effort at anything. Perhaps it explains the bulging waistlines.
I actually have a bad back and have health issues wich is also a primary reason I am wanting to switch to a power awning, I spent one trip on my back and unable to help load or unload anything, my wife had a hard time stowing the awning when it was time to leave. She had to obtain assitance from anotehr camper at the next site to get the awning stowed, all I could do was watch and give instructions. I am also going with a power tongue jack. We sold our old Popup and switched to a TT to save on the manual labor and setup take down times adn to save my back.

I am looking at the Carefree Travel'r power awning and a set of 4 new Goodyear tires from Camping world, they seem to have the best response to my questions abouit awnings and installs.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #24
Villa Estate 392FLFB

bad back, nuff said. power awning all the way. i know from exp!! lol
Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
bad back, nuff said. power awning all the way. i know from exp!! lol
The wife is concerned about the extra expense, about 500.00 difference for a power awning installed compared to a manual one. I am concerned with ease of operation, Daughter just wants to camp!

I have about decided on the Carefree Travel'r 12V power awning with a 3 year service plan 0 deductible, covers wind/rain/hail damage/ etc. for an addtional 139.00

Camping world is reccomending Goodyear Marathon tires, I need to read the threads on blowouts now and do some tire research!

I am also looking into a power tongue jack, for ease of setup/hitching

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
We are ready to replace our awning and I am wanting to know who has a power awning and do you like it? Would you get a power awning again or go back to manual? I am looking at the Carefree 12V awnings, we have a A&E Sunchaser now but the arms are tweaked (from previous owner) and it is very difficult to stow or extend with the bad hardware, also our material is now torn.

any recomendations on 12V power awnings or really easy to use manual? I wuold like to have one that the DW can setup or take down. Ours is 21ft and requires two people to set it up. I like that the Carefree uses a crank handle to extend/retract, A&E doesw not have that option.

Thanks for any help!
I have 2011 2902SS with a 21' electric awning. we have had nothing but trouble with it and may replace it with a manual awning.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesm View Post
I have 2011 2902SS with a 21' electric awning. we have had nothing but trouble with it and may replace it with a manual awning.
What brand awning and model is it?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #28

Well, I may be in the minority here, but first RV had Manual and second has Electric. The wife LOVES the electric.

With the manual, I was the only one allowed to touch it. I would extend it, deflap it, tie it down and there it sat all weekend even through some good wind and rain.

With the electric, we push a button 15 seconds later its out. Once our afternoon rainstorms come through, Florida, we get a REALLY good blast of wind. The first time I saw the awning fold up like a parachute! Scared the life and wallet out of me. I thought for sure something snapped. Luckily nothing happened.

So, 2nd time around, I would lean more towards a manual, although the CEO/Accountant has the final say.
2011 Surveyor 304
g0tr00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #29

power awning for sure...easy to roll up at night and when you leave campsite and quick to roll right back out...

Mark and Connie
2008 3001W Windjammer
2005 Tahoe Z71, 5.3L
Equal-i-zer WD
mkollath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #30

My story: Went camping on Memorial Day weekend with my Cherokee that had a manual awning. Small rain storm popped up around lunch, 10 minutes later it was a huge wind storm with pea size hail. Looked out the door and the fabric was bowed up like a sail on a sail boat. Ran out as quickly as I could and folded it up, thankful it wasn't ripped off the camper. After the storm I went back out to put it out and noticed the bracket that attached the arm to the top of the camper was sheared off, bummer! Our new camper has an electric awning and I love it more than I thought I would. Totally sweet! Push a button it's out, push it again and it's in. Only bad thing I have to say is the angle isn't as adjustable as manuals, but I recently saw a new model that just came out and has a adjustable arms similar to the manuals. I would recommend an electric model without hesitation.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #31

thanks for the input!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Well, if you like to visit the beach or other windy places, I think you will quickly find out that you can't tie down an electric awning or put awning de-flappers on it. At least as far as I know.
You can tie them down but you can't use de-flappers. However my electric awning seems to be tight enough not to need the de-flappers.
aujmr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #33
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by aujmr1970 View Post
You can tie them down but you can't use de-flappers. However my electric awning seems to be tight enough not to need the de-flappers.
I understand, but wind force can act in both directions. The way I look at it, if you study the geometry of a tied down electric versus a tied down manual (especially with the legs in the patio position) it is obvious which is the stronger setup.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #34

Quote:
What brand awning and model is it?

Thanks
I believe its Dometic
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
do you have a model# or model name?
I think I read that you've just about decided on the Carefree. But, you asked what I was using and I just had time to look. Its Dometic 8952002, which I can't find on their website. Looks like their 9100.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I think I read that you've just about decided on the Carefree. But, you asked what I was using and I just had time to look. Its Dometic 8952002, which I can't find on their website. Looks like their 9100.
Thank you
Old 08-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Well, if you like to visit the beach or other windy places, I think you will quickly find out that you can't tie down an electric awning or put awning de-flappers on it. At least as far as I know.

we love our elec. awning and we do strap it down if it gets windy. only issues we've had is in heavy rain, it's supposed to dump itself but sometimes it doesn't. just keep an eye on it or draw it in if you are going to be gone.
gtmustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmustang65 View Post
we love our elec. awning and we do strap it down if it gets windy. only issues we've had is in heavy rain, it's supposed to dump itself but sometimes it doesn't. just keep an eye on it or draw it in if you are going to be gone.
thanks for the info, do you have a Carefree or Dometic?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #39

I have the power awning also. I tied it down this pass weekend with no problems. I just pulled down on it alittle and it worked great. wife also loves this awning. she hated to old style.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmustang65 View Post
I believe that you have to leave one screw knob loose on one side arm or the other to self dump.
also you cannot tie awning down if you want it to self dump.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, awning