Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #1

Awning replacement question

I purchased a used rv.The 21' awning needs replacing because the roller tube is bent or bowed due to being parked so long. Can the tube and awning be replaced , the hardware that is attached is still in good shape.Also how can you prevent the bow or bending from occuring on a long canopy like this?
hldurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #2

They make a bracket for in the center during travel.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

If you get a helper, you can remove the awning and straighten it. Just be VERY careful when you disconnect it from the trailer.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #4

If bowed you may beable to straighten it, to a usable point. If bent you will need to replace. They make a center support post that when traveling supports the awning and keeps it from bouncing. A lot of times however the awning roller gets bowed due to heavy rain where the awning does not allow for run off, but instead holds the water causing the roller tube to bow.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4fun View Post
If bowed you may beable to straighten it, to a usable point. If bent you will need to replace. They make a center support post that when traveling supports the awning and keeps it from bouncing. A lot of times however the awning roller gets bowed due to heavy rain where the awning does not allow for run off, but instead holds the water causing the roller tube to bow.
Ditto! I had a 20 foot awning and it never bent with no center
support.
someone didn't slope or in a rain storm..
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You can buy just the tube and fabric. You need to find a set of directions, and make sure you lock the tube before you swap it. The tube is spring loaded, and will hurt when removed if not locked properly. If you need further help, search on here, or the awning manufacture website, or shoot me a private mail. Send a pic of the left end of the roller tube, and maybe I can locate the locking holes for you.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
DDC

I have a 2012 surveyor 264sv and it has a 20 foot awning but it has a bow in it and the fabric is always wrinkled, dealer has said this would be ok but I have my doubts any advice.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hldurham View Post
I purchased a used rv.The 21' awning needs replacing because the roller tube is bent or bowed due to being parked so long. Can the tube and awning be replaced , the hardware that is attached is still in good shape.Also how can you prevent the bow or bending from occuring on a long canopy like this?
This is a good fix that will straighten bowed tubes and keeps it from bending.
Plus it is cheaper than a new tube. The tubes can be manually straightened, but it takes 2 people and some very creative straightening methods. My son and I straightened a 19', but it took us about 3 hrs just to straighten the tube as we tried numerous methods til we figured out how to hold the tube and progressively bow it til we got it straight. A tremendous amount of trial and error.

Watch the videos, this is a lot easier than what we did.

MX57 (*Single unit) - MX57

Tags
awning