Old 06-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #1

awning seems to be shifting..

On my 2000 Cherokee I have a 18' manual awning that seems to "shift" when I pack it away at the end of a camping trip. When I set it up when I get to the site, it is often normal, but sometimes it sticks a bit but not real bad.The best way to describe it is that the whole roller tube seems to move towards the front of the camper whenver It is rolled up. The actual material seems to be rolled ok, just when the arms meet the top, I have to pull them to the front of the camper up to 1 inch. It just seems to have been getting gradually worse over the last two years.

Any ideas what I should look at?

thanks,
Bob

Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #2

Sounds like one of the arms may be bent a little or twisted may be picture would help show us the problem. May be the canvas or fabric is off center a little also cause it to pull to one side or the other when rolled up. These are just guesses so i am not really being much help sorry

Old 06-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #3

I had a problem like that, when I bought my Rockwood new the awning had a small hole in it so it was replaced under warranty, when the dealer replaced the awning they did not attach the awning material to the roller with rivets as they do from the factory. This allowed the awning material to side where ever it wanted to causing the supports to become out of square and not open and closing correctly without pushing it around..... Just a thought.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Head Rambler

Our fabric will move on the roller and do just as you describe. Riveting or putting a small screw in one side will fix it. I just took a magic marker and lined it up and marked the roller where the fabric should be, then whenever it's out I can see if I need to slide it back in alignment.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
Grape Escape

Awning material can slide in drum when not fixed in place. When it is extended just pull vinyl either way near roller drum. Once in proper position add a rivet to keep it there
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #6

the awning material is a bit off center, by about 2" or so. I can't put it down right now but will do so asap then take a picture when it rolls up. I know the material has been off for a while but never worried about it. I will put the awning down if the T-storms hold off, and check out some suggestions.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 06-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #7

pictures and results

Yep, the off center awning was the trouble. But, when I centered the awning on the roller, it threw the arms the opposite directions. So I measured from the edge of the awning at the top to the center of the arm at the top. Then I make the awning the same at the roller and BAM, it worked great! I couldn 't move the awning at the top. Thanks so much!! Here are some pictures of what I had...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning rear before.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	2584   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning front before.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	2585   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning after rear.jpg
Views:	58