Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #1

Question Awning slams against trailer when rolling up

Hi,

When I roll up my dometic awning on my 06' Salem 26BH, I have to hang on to the support bar or have someone hold the awning strap after flipping the roll up switch on the end of the tube. Then we have to slowly roll up the awning carefully. Otherwise, the awning rolls up at full speed and slams into the side of the trailer. Seems that whatever brake mechanism that prevents it from rolling up fast has failed.

Has anyone ever had this problem? If so, what's the fix?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Hi,

When I roll up my dometic awning on my 06' Salem 26BH, I have to hang on to the support bar or have someone hold the awning strap after flipping the roll up switch on the end of the tube. Then we have to slowly roll up the awning carefully. Otherwise, the awning rolls up at full speed and slams into the side of the trailer. Seems that whatever brake mechanism that prevents it from rolling up fast has failed.

Has anyone ever had this problem? If so, what's the fix?

Thanks for any suggestions!
I hate to be the one to tell you this but the awning strap is the brake mechanism. Your awning is operating normally.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

I had this problem and discovered the awning material was not centered on the roller and was putting the arms in a bind. I centered the awning and put a 3/16" large dia pop rivet in the side hem on both ends. Problem disappeared. You might look and see if this might be your problem.

This picture was taken with the awning overextended to get the rivet centered on the two seams on the roller. Awning should not be extended this far as it places undue stress on the seams and creates a valley that will collect water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pop Rivet in Awning.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	12960  
Old 04-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Site Team

The first time I rolled up my awning I got a nasty rope burn from holding the strap as it flew through my hand in record speed. With a pair of good gloves and a tight hold on the strap I have learned to control the speed it rolls up. Being a short gal I don't have a big arm spread so the strap is closer to the switch when flipping it close. By keeping a snug hold on the strap close to the tube I am able to slide and position the strap back to the center position before rolling it up slowly.

If you have someone helping one person could hold the strap snug (hand and rod) while the other person flips the switch. Since I do this by myself I had to adapt it a bit. I still have the awning rod in position with the strap because I'm too short to hold onto the strap all the way up.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
The first time I rolled up my awning I got a nasty rope burn from holding the strap as it flew through my hand in record speed. With a pair of good gloves and a tight hold on the strap I have learned to control the speed it rolls up. Being a short gal I don't have a big arm spread so the strap is closer to the switch when flipping it close. By keeping a snug hold on the strap close to the tube I am able to slide and position the strap back to the center position before rolling it up slowly.

If you have someone helping one person could hold the strap snug (hand and rod) while the other person flips the switch. Since I do this by myself I had to adapt it a bit. I still have the awning rod in position with the strap because I'm too short to hold onto the strap all the way up.
I'm a pretty tall guy, and I still say this is a two person job.

I've done it by myself. I stand on the strap, flip the switch with the awning rod, and sort of work the strap back over to the middle of the tube without letting it roll up.

Go nice and slow so the awning stays tight and slip the rod into the loop when its halfway and ease it up the rest of the way.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
I hate to be the one to tell you this but the awning strap is the brake mechanism. Your awning is operating normally.
Ditto! Your awning is operating normally. To store ours for travel, my wife would hold the strap while I flipped the switch. Then I would take the strap from my wife and control the speed of the awning going back to the trailer. Course now that I have an electric awning it's no longer an issue.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Sorry, I misread your original post, I thought you had a power awning. Yes, the manuals are just about a 2 person operation unless you move the strap down close to the release latch.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #8

You should have gotten a tool for pulling out and closing your awning. It is an easy one person job. Release the lock hold onto the tube walk to the center and slowly let the strap out closing the awning. Use the tool for as much as you need to control the closing. Remember there is a big spring inside the tube you are holding against
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #9

I just move the awning strap as close to the latch end of the awning as necessary to reach the unlocking latch with my right hand, holding onto the strap with my left. I then walk the strap back toward the center of the awning as I slowly let is roll up. You don't want to let the strap roll up in one spot anyway, as that would create a big bulge in the awning.
Definitely an easy one-person job.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn
You should have gotten a tool for pulling out and closing your awning. It is an easy one person job. Release the lock hold onto the tube walk to the center and slowly let the strap out closing the awning. Use the tool for as much as you need to control the closing. Remember there is a big spring inside the tube you are holding against
Exactly, you should have a long metal rod with a bend at the end.
This goes in the loop and let's you slowly let the awning roll uo.
Didn't they Show you this in the PDI?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
WWWHHHHHHHAAAAAAA! My hubby and I are laughing so hard now... thanks for the laugh!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning