Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #1

Awning stabilizer

Hi
i have a Forest River pop up. I would like to have the awning support poles go down to the ground instead of going back to the side of the camper. Would a pair of stabilizers do the trick?
JoeAdkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #2

Read this thread from post #2145 on... and you will get an idea on how you can purchase a bracket and either buy or make awning hold down/up poles.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-49765-54.html

I say down/up because in high winds your awning may be pushed down or blown up by the wind.

I personally bought the bracket from Old Coot but made my own poles using 1 1/4 and 1 inch PVC pipe...

Others have used aluminum tubing, painters extension poles or bought them made from another member. Read through that posting and make your own mod for your awning using the thread for ideas....

Make the poles adjustable as it is best to have your awning tilted left to right to help shed water in heavy rains.

Good Luck and post your final solution...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #3

Awning poles

Hi
Would you happen to have a picture of the finished product? How does the poles attach to awning and do I need ropes to the ground with stakes?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #4

I will help you but as it snowed 3 inches last night/today it will take until next week before I can get a picture as I am leaving Thurs for the weekend.

Basically Old Coot sells a bracket that bolts to the end of the awning arms at each end near the roller. This bracket uses existing holes in awning arms. It gives you the ability to pin a telescoping support pole to the bracket that will extend to the ground. Also on the bracket is another short arm with a hole that you will use to attach a ratchet strap to a ground stake to fasten the awning to the ground. So pole holds awning up and strap holds awning down... between them the awning is stabilized against wind and rain. Best to keep awning tilted from left to right in case of rain and poles slide into one-another to accommodate different lengths.

Now picture some CPVC (white rigid) plastic tubing from Home Depot, 1 inch sliding into larger 1 1/4 inch tube that is pinned to the bracket at top and goes down to the ground. The sliding pole is adjustable in and out and with holes drilled into the tubing at various points that can also be pinned at various lengths to accommodate differing awning heights to the ground. I think post #2145 on the other thread shows this in a picture.

this thread here >>> http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-49765-54.html

One post in this thread I mentioned above talks about using rigid metal conduit in a similar way as the plastic. Another member here sells aluminum poles already made for this purpose. Up to you to decide how fancy you want to get. CPVC is light to carry and cheap to make. Over all pole length using 10' pipe is about 5 foot 6 inches collapsed.

I will do a write-up with pictures next week and post here on this thread...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 03-26-2018, 08:34 PM   #5

As promised I posted this thread about inexpensive awning support poles...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ly-155914.html

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 03-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #6

awning poles

Would the adjustable poles that came with my awning be strong enough to support the awning? I believe they are tall enough. Then I was going to use a pair of Camco awning stabilizers. They have a rope that wraps around the awning and then down to small augers.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
Site Team

Interesting that your awning arms don't detach from the body of the trailer. I thought this was an option on most pups.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #8

JoeAdkins.
Is your awning an electric or manual awning? If possible could you post a picture of your awning arms and of the bracket at the side of the camper?

Thanks.
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #9

awning

My awning does detach from the side of the camper. When I detach it and put the poles straight down, there is nothing to hold the poles from falling over. So all I want to know is if I run the poles straight down, can I use awning stabilizers made by Camco to hold the poles in place.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAdkins View Post
My awning does detach from the side of the camper. When I detach it and put the poles straight down, there is nothing to hold the poles from falling over. So all I want to know is if I run the poles straight down, can I use awning stabilizers made by Camco to hold the poles in place.
Pictures would really help us help you.

When the poles are straight down, I think you'd need to tie down the awning in some way. Something like ratchet straps to dog tie downs or something.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #11

Quote:
I don't understand Falling over. All standard awnings give you the option if leaving the bottom attached to the trailer or removing them and standing them on the ground. they stay there very well. the will lift in high winds. I bought weights to place around them on the ground. They look like barbell weights with a slot cut out to go around the pole. I never leave mine attached to the trailer. too much ducking to walk around. When RVing Google and Amazon are your friends.

https://www.amazon.com/Quik-Shade-Ca...ts+for+awnings
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Easy answer YES! Youroo!!
Old 03-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I Googled Camco awning stabilizers and yes they will work.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Pictures would really help us help you.

When the poles are straight down, I think you'd need to tie down the awning in some way. Something like ratchet straps to dog tie downs or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I Googled Camco awning stabilizers and yes they will work.
Heh, I should have Googled it. They're basically what I said, just with rope and dog tie downs.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #15

The “dog leash” corkscrew type tie downs are great for dogs but most dogs are pulling sideways, not straight up. I used to use them until I watched the awning pull it right up out of the ground during a thunderstorm. It was set in pretty firm grass. Fortunately I was watching it happen and was able to run out and grab the strap to hold the awning down (sure did get really wet doing that). Camper behind me using the same system had the awning destroyed when it pulled the stakes and flipped over the roof.

Best tie down system is “The Claw”. Best deal now is Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/The-Claw-C101...ie+down+anchor

For poles I used Easy-up picnic canopy support poles. They were free since I salvaged them from the pile of canopies destroyed during the previously mentioned thunderstorm. For rainy times I set one side of the 21 foot awning 8-10 inches low to provide drainage.

Made the brackets from 1.5 inch aluminum U-channel. You can get enough brackets cut from a four foot piece to make eight poles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags
awning