Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #1

Awning track screws pulled free

Well it finally happened. The desert finally pulled the screws out of one my tracks, as well as some adhesive. Any suggestions on what to use to fill in the holes so the screws have something to bite into?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Would really consider investigating as to what was inside behind the screws and make an alum plate and bolt completely thru the wall and put the plate & nut inside. Make sure you caulk inside the holes.

Then I would order a set of awning pole hold down brackets and install awning poles.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #3

What OldCoot said! Well put. I have had a number of 5er's over the years and in every case I bolted the awning with nuts, bolts, and a good backing. If it is visible a nice oak plate will work too so it doesn't look so industrial. I see you are in Arizona which equals wind. Awnings will stand very little wind. If there is any threat beyond a pleasant breeze, the awning has to go in. If the breeze is going to be sustained, good tie downs securely fastened to the ground are the only way to go. Be sure to chalk everything really well before tightening the bolts so the chalk is actually between the wall and awning or inside bracket.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Would really consider investigating as to what was inside behind the screws and make an alum plate and bolt completely thru the wall and put the plate & nut inside. Make sure you caulk inside the holes.

Then I would order a set of awning pole hold down brackets and install awning poles.

Any idea were one might get a set of hold down brackets and how to make awning poles OC?

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #5

Not sure what type of awning you have, if it is a standard Carefree, or A&E, just move the arms from the 45 degree position to the carport position and get a kit such as this to use as a tie down.

RV Awning Hold Down Strap Kit - Camco 42514 - Awning Accessories & Hardware - Camping World
Old 05-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #6

Yeah, the problem was I put the awning out this morning for shade before I went to work and the weather channel didn't forecast wind until after I was going to be home. Fail for trusting that. The screws were already loose and I haven't had a chance to see what they screwed into in the first place. I got some of that steel putty to fill the holes but haven't used it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #7

Where can one get awning poles for the power awnings?
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Any idea were one might get a set of hold down brackets and how to make awning poles OC?

Russell
PM me, I might be able to be of assistance.

Tags
awning, led