Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #1

Awning trouble

Just spring cleaning the trailer and tried to open the awning for the first time this season to give it a general cleaning. Usually i use the pull rod to flip the small lever at the end of the awning which allows it to open/close but the lever would not move. So i did the typical man thing and tapped it with a hammer hoping to get it moving as it appeared to be seized. Now the lever only spins on the small shaft! I can see the shaft still isnt moving. What do i do? The awning is about 20 feet long and always worked without issue in the past!
07 kawasaki brute force 650i

Wildwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood1 View Post
Just spring cleaning the trailer and tried to open the awning for the first time this season to give it a general cleaning. Usually i use the pull rod to flip the small lever at the end of the awning which allows it to open/close but the lever would not move. So i did the typical man thing and tapped it with a hammer hoping to get it moving as it appeared to be seized. Now the lever only spins on the small shaft! I can see the shaft still isnt moving. What do i do? The awning is about 20 feet long and always worked without issue in the past!
Is that small lever attached to the shaft with a pin? If so maybe you sheared it and it needs to be driven out and replaced. From memory couple years back there is a hollow pin driven into the lever and through the shaft? If you re establish that connection, try plenty of penetrating oil to free the reversing lever.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Is that small lever attached to the shaft with a pin? If so maybe you sheared it and it needs to be driven out and replaced. From memory couple years back there is a hollow pin driven into the lever and through the shaft? If you re establish that connection, try plenty of penetrating oil to free the reversing lever.
It doesnt appear to have a pin (weird).Maybe i will drill a small hole thru the lever and shaft and use a roller pin. I will soak with penetrating oil before trying to get it to free up again. Seems like there the problem is inside the end cap. I'll see if i can get some oil inside it.
07 kawasaki brute force 650i

Wildwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote