Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #1

Awning tube bent

So while driving through a campground this tree ran into our awning out of no where, needless to say the awning has a few pinholes in it and the roll up tube has quite a bend to it. Functionally it's "okay", it goes out without a problem and is very slow to come in due to the bend. It appears that only one side is motorized which would explain why it's slow and has a hard time rolling up.

Anyone have advice on fixing this? Should we just buy a new tube and if so, how easy is it to swap? It's an 18' LCI Solera, the new tube runs around $400 or $800 with awning.

I've attached some pictures of the damage, unfortunately I don't have a picture of the suspect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2Ldoxml.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	152117   Click image for larger version

Name:	nA3l5Jj.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	152118  
CamperWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
Always Learning

Would this thing help?

https://www.megax57.com
Old 09-22-2017, 11:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Would this thing help?

https://www.megax57.com
That look's good to fix small breaks/bends, this bend has a total span of probably 8ft
CamperWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #4

I would not hold out to much hope to get that thing factory straight again. Don't push on it too much from the ground and end up 'stressing and bending' other parts. R&R..... Remove and Replace, if it causes to many problems.

imo

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #5

My old camper awning was 21 feet with a bend like yours . I had two people help me bend it back. Got most of the bend out . Give it a try.
modaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperWill View Post
So while driving through a campground this tree ran into our awning out of no where, needless to say the awning has a few pinholes in it and the roll up tube has quite a bend to it. Functionally it's "okay", it goes out without a problem and is very slow to come in due to the bend. It appears that only one side is motorized which would explain why it's slow and has a hard time rolling up.

Anyone have advice on fixing this? Should we just buy a new tube and if so, how easy is it to swap? It's an 18' LCI Solera, the new tube runs around $400 or $800 with awning.

I've attached some pictures of the damage, unfortunately I don't have a picture of the suspect.

My Allstate auto policy allowed $1600+ to replace my whole awning including labor for a $25 deductible. There was a specific addendum to my policy that covered external fixtures on the camper. Of course their first response was for me to pay the $500 collision deductible, but mine was storm damage. Yours appears to be "storm damage" as well (cough, cough). Maybe your policy has a similar exception.

Tags
awning, bent