Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #1

Awning utility slot

Hi. Just put out my awning for the first time (Dometic 9100 I think) and noticed the utility slot on the bottom of the roller tube does not line up with the opening in the end cap. Am I correct in thinking that an easy fix would be to drill out the 3 rivets and rotate the end cap or is there more to this. I am not into opening a can of worms but would like to use the utility slot. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 7-08-12 5 16 40 PM.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	17627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 7-08-12 5 16 50 PM.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	17628  

Old 08-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Chris,

Two things.

1) You are over extending your awning. The material should first contact the roller on top of the tube; not at the side. Roll up your awning about 1/4 rotation. The accessory slot should face the camper and not straight down.

2) It looks like whoever put the end cap on made a mistake. The accessory rail should have the opening and not the awning retention rail.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #3

Yes the cap is in the wrong position. Herk,if the ass.slot is toward the camper I could Not put my sun screen in it. I have a time of it when the slot is in the down position. Youroo!!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Yes the cap is in the wrong position. Herk,if the ass.slot is toward the camper I could Not put my sun screen in it. I have a time of it when the slot is in the down position. Youroo!!
The Sun Screen will still go in the slot when it is facing the camper and can be used when the awning is in its proper extension. The "gully" in the awning material when overextended will collect water faster than it can run off and with a long tube eventually bow it. Even a short tube will eventually cause problems due to material stretch. The awning will begin to roll up with wrinkles that will twist the mounting arms when retracted.

Try it and see if it will work for you.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #5

The instuctions for the Dometic power awning says to hold the "extend" button until the awning is fully extended http://www.dometic.com/FileOrganizer...r-guide_EN.pdf

On page 2 of the carefree document show the awning fully extended to prepare the roller tube for the installation of the rafter with the utility slot pointing downward and the rearward fabric slot towards the top rear

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/do...fter%20VII.pdf
Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

In every view the "Fully Extended" awning is on the top of the roller and not the side facing the camper. Interpretation of WHAT "Fully Extended" means is the issue.

My technique for "Fully Extended" is with the awning material on top of the roller when the awning is "Fully Extended." Motor "bogdown" is not "Fully Extended" in my opinion; it is "Hyper-Extended."

In addition, structurally speaking, having the material on top adds to the strength of the awning roller by giving a 1/4 wrap of material over the weakest part of the roller (middle); eliminates the gully that traps water, stretches the material, and adds weight to the awning at its weakest point (middle); and still allows full use of the accessory slot.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
...In every view the "Fully Extended" awning is on the top of the roller and not the side facing the camper. Interpretation of WHAT "Fully Extended" means is the issue.
My technique for "Fully Extended" is with the awning material on top of the roller when the awning is "Fully Extended." Motor "bogdown" is not "Fully Extended" in my opinion; it is "Hyper-Extended."
I agree 100% with the Hyper-Extended portion, however, when you install a sunshade and stake it down, it will automatically roll the awning into the "Hyper-Extended" position with the accessory slot being straight down or slightly away from the trailer. We always "tilt" the awning down at least 6" so there is no danger in water pooling in the valley.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 AM   #8

Thanks for the advise guys. I drilled out the rivets today and rotated the cap to line up with the utility slot. Has anyone had experience with patty-o-rooms or similar?? We often stay for long periods in the one place and had a fully enclosed awning on our old 1975 caravan. The extra space was awesome. Cheers Chris

Tags
9100, awning, rockwood ultra