Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #1

Awning will not retract.

2012 Forester....Awning got stuck out. Not sure of the brand. Called our Road side Assistant since we had no clue on how to get it back in. No help they could not find anyone to come out. We called a local RV repair man. He can out and here's what he did. Got ladder, went to the end where motor is located (end near front of unit) Checked motor, said it was shot. Since we have extended warranty we asked him to roll it up and secure it so that we can get it to the dealer. He asked my DH to hold the button down to retract it and the RV guy started manually rolling it up. When he got it all the way in he asked my DH to hold it in place (the arm) while he got some zip ties. He put 2 or 3 zip ties around each arm and told us that would get us to the shop. If it ever happens again we now know how to get it back in. The RV charged $85 for coming out and I am now shopping for another Road side Assistant company. Ours is included in our extended warranty but obviously no help! Hope this help if any one is in the same situation.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:13 AM   #2

Many of those second parties extended warranties are pretty worthless. i've been a mechanical equipment repair tech for 25 years and I can tell you the reason they couldn't find anybody to come out is money. They either pay way below market service rates and/or are very slow to pay their bills. I think the $85 the local guy charged was reasonable. Get a well-known roadside assistance like Good Sam, Coach Net or AAA and you will have better luck.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

It may help others if you mentioned which road side assistance company you have. I think many on here use Good Sam. Thanks for telling us how he got the unit back in.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
It may help others if you mentioned which road side assistance company you have. I think many on here use Good Sam. Thanks for telling us how he got the unit back in.
MFG of Awning would be helpful also! Youroo!!
Old 06-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #5

The dealer told us during the PDI that if this happened on the Dometic awning, to slide the conventional pull down strap(found in the bag with the somewhat vague set of manuals!) into place on the awning roller and pointed out a screw on the forward(facing) end of the roller to remove . I guess that this uncoupled the motor from the roller and would allow the awning to be retracted manually. This is probably best handled with a helper at one end or the other so it doesn't get away on you.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #6

On the LCI awnings there is a cap on the end sat the front. You remove it and use a drill and a deep well 3/4 inch socket to roll the awning back in. I carry a corded drill as it can take awhile to do it.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #7

Here in Southern Cal.Good Sam is absolutely horrible. Wife's battery went dead at post office she called G/S. Hour later she called me I jumped it. Put the cables back in the truck and the guy arrived in a Lexus sedan to get it started. They subcontract all this out and don't pay anything so no one is in a rush to help a Good Sam member. 45 min to get gas and 1 1/4 hours for a tow truck.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #8

We had a guy that was camping with us that said he has Good Sam's but he never calls them. He said if he has a problem he would call a local company to fix what ever and pay the bill and then send the bill to Good Sam's and said he has never had a problem being reimbursed. I wonder??
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #9
Radioman

Awning will not retract

I had GS for over 10 yrs and many repairs done on site. After paying the deductable, never had a problem with any vendor accepting GS. I now have a different Ins that I bought with the newer unit and I'm not happy with it as it excludes on site service in CA. Would recommend GS to anyone.
Yuba City, CA. 95993
bjlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #10

Retracting Dometic Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
The dealer told us during the PDI that if this happened on the Dometic awning, to slide the conventional pull down strap(found in the bag with the somewhat vague set of manuals!) into place on the awning roller and pointed out a screw on the forward(facing) end of the roller to remove . I guess that this uncoupled the motor from the roller and would allow the awning to be retracted manually. This is probably best handled with a helper at one end or the other so it doesn't get away on you.
Our Dometic awning wouldn't retract Monday while getting ready to leave the campground after a 2 week stay. Remote site with no cell service. With retract switch pushed, absolutely no movement or sound. Adjacent Water pump and water tank switches dimmed when I pushed the awning switch.
The awning wiring has a splice for the awning LED lights - the lights continued to work. Tried both battery and generator to no avail.
Per manual, inserted the pull down strap for DW while I removed two screws (top and front) of the roller, promptly losing the top screw for good. Also disconnected power cord in awning arm. Told DW to hold tight due to the (anticipated) tension. ABSOLUTELY NO MOVEMENT of the awning occurred.
Backing in my truck I was just tall enough to push the awning in. I then reinserted the one bolt just as, on cue, it started pouring and lightning. This bolt keeps the awning (we hope) from extending.
Next step: see if local dealer will repair and save me a 2 hour drive to the selling dealer. I assume its a shot motor. Manual states to not reconnect the power as must be done by a Dometic professional.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank & Eve View Post
2012 Forester....Awning got stuck out. Not sure of the brand. Called our Road side Assistant since we had no clue on how to get it back in. No help they could not find anyone to come out. We called a local RV repair man. He can out and here's what he did. Got ladder, went to the end where motor is located (end near front of unit) Checked motor, said it was shot. Since we have extended warranty we asked him to roll it up and secure it so that we can get it to the dealer. He asked my DH to hold the button down to retract it and the RV guy started manually rolling it up. When he got it all the way in he asked my DH to hold it in place (the arm) while he got some zip ties. He put 2 or 3 zip ties around each arm and told us that would get us to the shop. If it ever happens again we now know how to get it back in. The RV charged $85 for coming out and I am now shopping for another Road side Assistant company. Ours is included in our extended warranty but obviously no help! Hope this help if any one is in the same situation.
Roadside Assistance isn't intended for awning failures.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlyons View Post
I had GS for over 10 yrs and many repairs done on site. After paying the deductable, never had a problem with any vendor accepting GS. I now have a different Ins that I bought with the newer unit and I'm not happy with it as it excludes on site service in CA. Would recommend GS to anyone.
As would I.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #13

Here are the Dometic instructions. Easy task to get these awnings in if power fails.

http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...-UserGuide.pdf

Tags
awning