Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 09:38 PM   #1

Bathroom door won’t close without slamming

I have a 2018 Greywolf 26DBH. We have issues with the bathroom door staying closed. The camper is level. Anyone have suggestions on how to fix without slamming it closed all the time? I love this camper but this is beyond annoying in the middle of the night having to slam a door.
FlamingoFloozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #2

Being that you said it's a 2018 I imagine you have had this problem from the beginning? Is any part of the wood on the door contacting the wooden frame of the doorway? Does lifting on the door handle help at all? Seems new for sagging hinges to be an issue but easy enough to check if the screws are tight. I guess I'm wondering is the door need to be slammed because it won't close fully otherwise, or does it close easily but the latch doesn't engage?
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
Kasual Kamper

I have the same issue, but with the outside door of my 21DS. From the outside you can lift the handle and push it shut, but from the inside, it won't work unless you slam it. Just great when I'm coming in from the campfire a little late and my DW is already asleep!

The screen door closes fine with a little push, so I know the door frame is square. Any ideas?
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
I have the same issue, but with the outside door of my 21DS. From the outside you can lift the handle and push it shut, but from the inside, it won't work unless you slam it. Just great when I'm coming in from the campfire a little late and my DW is already asleep!

The screen door closes fine with a little push, so I know the door frame is square. Any ideas?
Our exterior door definitely needs some persuasion, it will close if you hold the handle, so it's a latch issue. The whole handle is a little tight so i might just replace the whole handle/lock. I want to replace both so we can use one key for both of our doors.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:40 PM   #5

FlamingoFloozy- -This sounds as if the latch bar, the tapered thingy of the door side, is not lining up correctly with the strike plate, the thing attached to the door frame. Close the door until the latch bar just barely touches the strike plate. Use a pencil to make two marks, one at the top of the latch bar the other at the bottom of the latch bar. Now draw a horizontal line from you two marks towards the open space of the strike plate. Those two lines should line up with the top and bottom of the opening of the strike plate, actually they should be just a bit inside the top and bottom of the opening. IF they are lined up good then go to this next step: Notice that inside the door frame on the side with the latch there should be a piece of wood that runs from top to bottom and just a bit further inside the door frame from the strike plate, this is the door stop. Close the door slowly until there is good resistance, this will be when the door itself touches the door stop. IF the door will not latch at this position then pull up on the handle and see IF the latch bar will go into the strike plate. IF it does--then the door itself will need to be raised a bit. IF pulling up doesn't work then try pulling down with the handle to see if the door will latch. IF that works then the door will need to be lowered in order to work properly. IF neither of these works then remove the door stop as the door may not be going in far enough. IF the door latches with the door stop removed the re-position the door stop just a bit further away from the door in the latched position and secure with finish nails. IF pulling up or pulling down will allow the door to latch with the door stop in it's original position I would remove the striker plate and file the opening of the striker plate at the top or bottom or both so that the latch bar will fit into the opening without moving the door itself. This is a method I have used many times when I had a "Household HandyMan" type business and ran across doors that would not latch well.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:28 AM   #6

I have to adjust our interior doors every year or two. Usually just takes loosening the door knob and re-aligning with striker plate by moving up/down. Did have to move the striker plate forward slightly once by gluing matchsticks in the screw holes.

Also have to tighten hinges occasionally.

All part of maintenance for a vibrating house on wheels.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
Being that you said it's a 2018 I imagine you have had this problem from the beginning? Is any part of the wood on the door contacting the wooden frame of the doorway? Does lifting on the door handle help at all? Seems new for sagging hinges to be an issue but easy enough to check if the screws are tight. I guess I'm wondering is the door need to be slammed because it won't close fully otherwise, or does it close easily but the latch doesn't engage?
It does close easily it just doesn’t catch. I will check the screws. I have fixed the door handle and checked the strike plate.
FlamingoFloozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #8

For heaven sakes put in a shim behind the plate
Susanmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #9

On my 26DBH I had to remove the plastic door jam and remove some of the wood behind the jam to keep the pantry door from jamming on closing, then I had to add shims behind the bathroom door cause the door would not stay closed. Yes it was under warranty but the dealer was 2.5 hours away and they had a 1 month backlog. A little time consuming but They work great now!
TTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

The 21DS has a hinge system that helps prevent the door from flying shut in a stiff breeze or wind gust. The latch mechanism is still but I'd rather have that than a floppy door..
thom125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #11

This may or may not be your issue but once I tightened the stabilizer scissor jack that was near the rear entrance door too much after leveling the trailer. The flimsy walls of the travel travel torqued just enough to make it difficult to close the door. Backing off a few turns of the stabilizer jack fixed the problem.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom125 View Post
The 21DS has a hinge system that helps prevent the door from flying shut in a stiff breeze or wind gust. The latch mechanism is still but I'd rather have that than a floppy door..

OP is talking about Bathrooms Door !!
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #13
Bashful365

I too have the problem with the bathroom door not latching. I know that the latch and the door frame receptacle are not lining up. I will be fixing it as soon as I fix the other issues I have with my 36FL.

Tags
bathroom, door, roo