Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 18
Broken Awning Attachment ... Ideas?

Hi all, I am in a Forrest River Wildwood X-Lite, A gust of wind caught my awning and it appears where the awning attaches to the RV, the bottom of the pole snapped off (picture attached). It appears to be a clean break, not sure if this is a molded form or if the end is somehow welded on in construction. Any ideas on how to fix this ... can I buy a "weld" of some type to Hone Depot, etc to re-attach the end? You can see in the pics the clean gray area where it was attached. Thanks, Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140323_111333 post.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	48230   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140323_111327 post.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	48231  
__________________

Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Hi all, I am in a Forrest River Wildwood X-Lite, A gust of wind caught my awning and it appears where the awning attaches to the RV, the bottom of the pole snapped off (picture attached). It appears to be a clean break, not sure if this is a molded form or if the end is somehow welded on in construction. Any ideas on how to fix this ... can I buy a "weld" of some type to Hone Depot, etc to re-attach the end? You can see in the pics the clean gray area where it was attached. Thanks, Bill
I would take it off and take it to a welding shop and have it tig welded.

Suggest using straps & dirt screws and tying it down in the future.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
I would pull it off and have a shop weld it and then order a new one from the manufacture just in case the welder got it wrong.
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,328
You can try calling Dometic and see if they sell a replacement part...it's referenced as a 'patio foot' in their installation instructions. It's riveted to the bottom of the awning arm.

Dave
__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
You can try calling Dometic and see if they sell a replacement part...it's referenced as a 'patio foot' in their installation instructions. It's riveted to the bottom of the awning arm.

Dave
x's 2 dave It would be better to order a new end. I just do not like these power awnings, If I could have I would have got the pull down with legs and everything already. Never had a problem with them, but FR said no.
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
You can try calling Dometic and see if they sell a replacement part...it's referenced as a 'patio foot' in their installation instructions. It's riveted to the bottom of the awning arm.

Dave
That's what I woud do too.
__________________
2012 Rockwood 8314BSS
2011 Chevy
Camping, Dutch Oven Cooking, and Homebrewing
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
x's 2 dave It would be better to order a new end. I just do not like these power awnings, If I could have I would have got the pull down with legs and everything already. Never had a problem with them, but FR said no.
gljurczyk, as lazy as you are, you'd never expend the effort to manually deploy and stake down 2 awnings, you don't even want to press 2 buttons to deploy stab jacks.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 18
Thanks everyone ... it is the Patio Foot on the manual awning that is riveted on. It broke, I see now after everyone's help, at the Rivet connection. I will have to order a new one and get it riveted. Of course, I was getting up to take in the awning when the gust hit. I had the awning angled out from the RV and not disconnected and staked to the ground. I reckon that may have made a difference, it would have pulled out of the ground vice being anchored to the RV. - Cheers, Bill
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Thanks everyone ... it is the Patio Foot on the manual awning that is riveted on. It broke, I see now after everyone's help, at the Rivet connection. I will have to order a new one and get it riveted. Of course, I was getting up to take in the awning when the gust hit. I had the awning angled out from the RV and not disconnected and staked to the ground. I reckon that may have made a difference, it would have pulled out of the ground vice being anchored to the RV. - Cheers, Bill
I don't think it is riveted to the camper, it should be lag bolted. I would still take it off and take it to a welding shop and have it tig welded. You can always order a new one, but why? Take a welding shop about 5 minutes to weld.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 13,890
It is a (Manual Awning) he had it deployed (Without) hold down straps,wind came up and this is the result. Lucky both bottom brackets didn't break,and the whole Awning flip over the Roof. Youroo!!
__________________

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.


×