Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #1

Broken Dexter Screen Door hinges

So I have a 2017 Coachman Apex Nano equipped with a Dexter door and screen door. Very typical configuration from what I can tell. The door has a continuous hinge pin that spans the length of the door from what I can tell. Over the weekend, the bottom hinge for the screen door broke, as well as the top. I finally took the door off, and am trying to find replacement hinges.

The best way to describe the screen door hinge is kind of like a squared Z, with one end of the Z hooked to the continuous hinge pin, and the other flat end of the hing screwed to the screen door. The hinge is a thin aluminum Does anyone know if I can buy these parts? Has anyone ever had this issue, or am I the only lucky one? I dont want to replace the door already, as this is my 2nd season for my camper. Very frustrating, and any advice would be great

Nick
trincinf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #2

here are some pics of the hinges

1st pic is good hinge
2nd pic is bad hinge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goodHinge.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	149572   Click image for larger version

Name:	BadHinge.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	149573  
Old 08-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #3

was the hinge too tight to keep it from sliding easily in the hinge pin? or was there some other mechanical problem that caused the hinge to flex and break?

perhaps there is a RV junkyard somewhere?

I have been googling and have not seen anything yet to help you out... just interested in how/why this happened

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #4

I think the culprit is...

the actual door hinges were slightly loose, and the screen door hinges must have been binding. With the pneumatic closer on the main door, I never realized this was an issue until I investigated after the hinges were broken (two out of 3 found broken after guests brought it to my attention). I have tightened the main door hinge, and now the door operates much better, but no screen door. So, my suspicion is that the loose main door hinges somehow caused the screen door to bind. Just a theory right now, and until I can get replacement screen door hinges, I really wont know for sure.

I cant find these hinges anywhere. I tried contacting Dexter and ForestRiver and heard back from FR. The gave me a number for Dexter to see if I can get them special ordered, but no guarantees.

Thanks for looking!
Old 09-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #5

Update: Dexter rocks!!!!

I contacted Coachman, and they would not cover the repair under warranty. They then gave me the number to Dexter Door and Axle directly, and I was just looking for replacement hinges. After speaking with them, they told me that the hinges are not serviceable and the door needed to be replaced. The next day, I received an email stating they would replace the door under warranty including parts and labor. There is a 2 year warranty on the door, but I am absolutely amazed that they are standing behind it. I have the appointment set up with my dealer and Dexter is shipping the door to them directly next week.

Rest assured, I will make sure the screen door does not bind in the least way before accepting the camper after the repair is done. The screen door did seem to get tight as you latched it, and I thought this was by design. I am thinking the door may not have been squarely installed at the factory, as there is about a quarter inch gap at the bottom of the frame where it meets the camper. About half way up the frame is completely flush with the camper wall. I think this is root cause. Hoping this works out, and all indicators look good right now. Yay me!
Old 05-20-2018, 03:53 AM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1526805941.007707.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	172566Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1526805966.752851.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	172567

I have a flagstaff 2017 23FB and looked over the trailer as I was preparing it for the 2018 season. I noticed the bottom hinge pin is sheared off which holds the screen door. I’d also like to find a replacement for the hinge. Any help is greatly appreciated in finding the part. My experience and trust with dealership Coldspring in Weare NH is terrible and I want to remove the busted hinge myself.
BTflagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, hinges