Old 08-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #1

Broken window pane

Maybe this should have been under the other window thread but I didn't want it to get passed over........

I have a Silverback 35QB4 and the back window outside pane shattered on me. I called my dealer and they said they will look into warranty but I'm not holding my breath on that. I asked them about a whole new window and they said it would cost a few hundred dollars just for shipping (to canada) and that the window itself is going to be expensive as well.

I have a couple questions.......

1. Is there an aftermarket for these windows or somewhere I can get one cheaper than paying shipping right from Forest River? I can install the window myself, thats not hard, it's actually getting my hands on one.

2. is it possible to replace just the pain that broke? I am going to call a glass shop once I hear back about warranty.

They are the Thermopane windows.

Thanks for any info.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Maybe this should have been under the other window thread but I didn't want it to get passed over........

I have a Silverback 35QB4 and the back window outside pane shattered on me. I called my dealer and they said they will look into warranty but I'm not holding my breath on that. I asked them about a whole new window and they said it would cost a few hundred dollars just for shipping (to canada) and that the window itself is going to be expensive as well.

1. Is there an aftermarket for these windows or somewhere I can get one cheaper than paying shipping right from Forest River? I can install the window myself, thats not hard, it's actually getting my hands on one.

2. is it possible to replace just the pain that broke? I am going to call a glass shop once I hear back about warranty.

Thanks for any info.
Don't know about a camper window, but we had one thermo pane replaced in our house and it was just under $300 and it was only about 2-1/2' sq.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean

Thanks for any info.
Take measurements, corner radius thickness and photo to a glass shop. Usually thermopane means two sheets sealed with inert gas between them. Other wise they would permanently fog on the first cloudy day. It's expensive but cheaper local.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:

Thanks for any info.
Just take the complete window, frame and all to the local shop and let them do their own measurements. If it's messed up, they can't blame your dimensions.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Take measurements, corner radius thickness and photo to a glass shop. Usually thermopane means two sheets sealed with inert gas between them. Other wise they would permanently fog on the first cloudy day. It's expensive but cheaper local.
Waiting to hear on warranty, if not covered this is likely what I will do.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Just take the complete window, frame and all to the local shop and let them do their own measurements. If it's messed up, they can't blame your dimensions.
I've considered this but I leave the trailer out at the lake permanently so it would sit with a big hole (covered with plastic) for as long as it takes to fix the glass. If they say they can do it in an hour or two, then maybe.

Sadly, up here in Canada the season is ending on Sept long weekend so I'm running out of time. After that its closed up and done for the year. Then I spend the next 7 months chasing the kids from one arena to the other for hockey.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I've considered this but I leave the trailer out at the lake permanently so it would sit with a big hole (covered with plastic) for as long as it takes to fix the glass. If they say they can do it in an hour or two, then maybe.

Sadly, up here in Canada the season is ending on Sept long weekend so I'm running out of time. After that its closed up and done for the year. Then I spend the next 7 months chasing the kids from one arena to the other for hockey.
Using the complete frame as a template, cut a pc of plywood and caulk it in and cover with plastic. If your measurements are off, you've wasted time and a bunch of money and still won't have a window. Your choice of course.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #8

Just got more info..... Warranty won't cover it and it's a Kenro window. I was told that I can't replace just a pane of glass in the Kinro windows. I have a call into a couple local glass shops to confirm this or not.

Does anyone know of any Kinro suppliers who ship to Canada? I have called Pelland Enterprises who sells all sorts of RV parts and they are quoting me a price for an entire new window, frame and all. I know it's going to be hundreds of dollars so I would like to have a few sources to get quotes from. Any ideas?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Just got more info..... Warranty won't cover it and it's a Kenro window. I was told that I can't replace just a pane of glass in the Kinro windows. I have a call into a couple local glass shops to confirm this or not...Any ideas?
As stated before, I would use the complete window as a template to cut a plywood insert, install and caulk it and cover with plastic and take the whole window assy to a glass installer. It has to be a less costly fix and a lot shorter wait time.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
As stated before, I would use the complete window as a template to cut a plywood insert, install and caulk it and cover with plastic and take the whole window assy to a glass installer. It has to be a less costly fix and a lot shorter wait time.
The problem with that is that I've been told a couple times that replacing just the glass can't be done. I am waiting for a couple call backs to confirm this and if I can get a glass shop to tell me they can replace just the glass and for who much..... I will be doing exactly as you stated.

In the mean time, I'm on the hunt for suppliers of the entire window to try and get quotes on that. It would be much easier for me to replace the entire thing but the $$$$ difference will determine whether I go the easy route or not.