Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Proud Member

Broken Window. Why tempered?

A house window in our Surveyor Travel Trailer broke. The good news, the local glass shop said they can repair it without removing the whole window frame. That's the easy part. But there is one other problem.

Even though the original glass pane was annealed glass, the replacement MUST be tempered. I have called other glass shops in the area and they say the same thing. Some say it is a "State law", others say it is "code", and others say it is "policy".

I fully understand the difference between annealed glass, and tempered glass. I also understand the safety aspects. But need I remind you, this is a travel trailer. That means it has no passengers on board when it is moving down the road.

One shop said they would only permit annealed glass if I would do the install myself, but they strongly discouraged doing so because it was a "safety issue."

My gripe is two fold: 1) it costs more and 2) it takes 7 business days to wait for the tempered glass to arrive. I was kind of hoping it would be fixed today.

What gives? Why am I "required" to replace this broken window with tempered glass? If annealed glass was good from the factory, why is it bad now? Is this something new? Are all travel trailers now shipping from the factory with tempered glass windows?
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
CO law?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #3

Just a guess, but maybe in the event of an accident it might be to prevent injury to the person you collide with? I'm thinking if it is a side window and somebody t-bones you; this would prevent missiles long sharp shards of glass.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #4

How much more was it? with and without.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #5

I would think it is to prevent injury in the event the window is broken. Not necessarily while in transit but in use.
dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #6

are they allowed to replace it with plexiglass? the glass co would have to cut it to fit.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #7

Laminated glass will cost even more but can be cut and installed on the spot. It is more secure than tempered, also very strong. You obviously understand the safety aspects and the businesses you are dealing with are doing what they believe will protect them from liability. Any time you install glass you have to think about what might happen to it, where it is used etc. There are strict building codes everywhere for permanent structures, but trailers may be subject to special ones, that vary by jurisdiction. High quality Lexan is a great choice for ease of cutting and strength, security etc. Some plastics scratch very easily and yellow too. Do some research and shop around a good glazier will help you come up with a solution. Also call your RV parts place and ask them if a replacement is available. I just ordered an insert for a door for half what I would pay a glazier for just the glass.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
Villa Estate 392FLFB

did you consult the dealership? or did they want to ream you for more money then the glass shop?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #9

I think it has more to do with state motor vehicle laws regarding windows in anything that uses the highways. Why was the first window annealed glass? Check to see what state the trailer was made in. Plexi or lexan might be ok as long as it doesn't flex. I'd worry about the window blowing out at highway speeds.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Proud Member

Thank you for all of your input everyone.

To those who asked. Yes the glass company was willing to use Plexiglass, Lexan, or laminated glass too. Just not annealed glass like the original.

Next time, I will cut my own template, take it in, and request they cut me a sheet of annealed glass to match. Then I can install it myself.

I have yet to find a specific law in Colorado on point after many attempts. Therefore, I am giving more weight to the excuse of liability. That seems more plausible.

I tired to explain to them that this was a travel trailer, and state law prevents it from carrying any passengers, therefore it is not a passenger vehicle. That did not satisfy them.

In case you are wondering. The cost was $35 to trace a template, and $85 for the tempered glass. it will be available in 5 to 7 days.
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote