Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #1

Busted window

So we discovered an impact fractured our outside door to the bathroom.
I have an appointment with a local Mobil glass repair company.
RV dealer said wasn't under warranty and that ordering from factory will be more costly.

And one experience this? Suggestions? Advice?
You can see the impact spot below the large gaping hole that collapsed in when my husband reached it and touched it.

Either from a child throwing rock, the mower throwing a rock or maybe a bird death flight?

He thought it was a stray bullet at first. But I'm thinking mower.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399922184.829814.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	52254
luvthatduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #2

I would bet on a mower or kid chucked rock.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I would bet on a mower or kid chucked rock.
X2 - there would be blood,flesh and feather remains if it was a bird.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
X2 - there would be blood,flesh and feather remains if it was a bird.

True enough, sometimes the cleanup is kinna gooey.....

Old 05-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
True enough, sometimes the cleanup is kinna gooey.....

Fortunealy enought,I never have to do a bird strike cleanup involving an aircraft,but after seeing from some pictures it's not something I would ever want to do.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #6

Nor have I, but cleaning out the radiator of my dads PU after a pheasant went thru the grill while he was going 70 was bad enough.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #7

Exactly the same thing happened to us but while it was parked for the winter. No Feather, no bullet hole. nothing. The dealer said it was because the ground freezes in the winter that causes movement that breaks Windows.... and as usual it's not a warranty issue even though the rv was 9 months old.
grangalo1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by grangalo1812 View Post
Exactly the same thing happened to us but while it was parked for the winter. No Feather, no bullet hole. nothing. The dealer said it was because the ground freezes in the winter that causes movement that breaks Windows.... and as usual it's not a warranty issue even though the rv was 9 months old.
Because the ground is frozen??? Your dealer is way out to lunch! If that was true then up here where I am, every trailer would have broken windows, because believe me...we get frozen ground! That reasoning doesn't even make sense. A trailer parked on frozen ground will still flex and have movement, etc. Driving down a rough road or highway is far harder on a trailer than sitting on frozen ground....Please do tell, what part of the country is this dealer from?
Old 10-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #9

That's also why they mount with urethane or rubber or both...it's flexible. Hello

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Because the ground is frozen??? Your dealer is way out to lunch! If that was true then up here where I am, every trailer would have broken windows, because believe me...we get frozen ground! That reasoning doesn't even make sense. A trailer parked on frozen ground will still flex and have movement, etc. Driving down a rough road or highway is far harder on a trailer than sitting on frozen ground....Please do tell, what part of the country is this dealer from?
I'm a gonna go with what is Bizzaro Alex....

Old 10-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
I'm from north western Québec, Canada. We had -40c for a couple of weeks last winter and a lot of people owning trailers saw the ground where they were parked rise a lot, causing movement while the trailer is totally frozen.
grangalo1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #12
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by grangalo1812 View Post
I'm from north western Québec, Canada. We had -40c for a couple of weeks last winter and a lot of people owning trailers saw the ground where they were parked rise a lot.
Still makes no sense at all...I am from Manitoba...winters can be brutal on the prairies. Here ground freezes in Nov and remains so till April...we get colder for longer spells than Que...yes the ground freezes and shifts, but it's gradual, and if the ground does rise as you say the whole trailer will move slooooowly with it. It won't cause flexing to the point of breaking a window. Heck if that were the case, then how could any windows in our vehicles, homes survive. The earth heaves in winter, but your trailer is on a chassis sitting on rubber tires, it will flex. If that reasoning were true, then every time you hit a bump on the road or drive on uneven ground windows would break. If you drive down a road and things inside your trailer move around and the road is a bit rough, and windows aren't breaking...then frozen ground is not going to cause windows to break.

About 80 trailers where I store ours for the winter, plus 100's on the local dealer lots all winter, and we don't see broken windows all over the place because of the freezing weather/frozen ground...same thing all over MN, ND that have the same weather we do.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #13

broken glass

I think the original question had to do with getting the glass replaced, and yes, the least expensive is to have your local glass guy do it. Often they are mobile, so will come to you. It is safety glass, (breaks in crumbles) so should be replaced with same. About a 10 minute fix. Maybe 20.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote