Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #1

cold windows

we are in phoenix at the moment, first snowbird trip. our 2012 sunseeker class c is poorly insulated. i am freezing at night. husb wants to calk all the windows but unfortunately he did that on our house & it's very sloppy - squiggly & uneven. no offense handymen.

anyone found a solution? inside my closet 54 d. like getting clothes out of cooler. have been putting blankets over windows

also cant get pedestal off dinette to make into bed. do you have to unscrew base plate every night. walk thru & google didnt solve
TaterJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Heated mattress or electric blanket? Do you have an electric heater?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterJr View Post
we are in phoenix at the moment, first snowbird trip. our 2012 sunseeker class c is poorly insulated. i am freezing at night. husb wants to calk all the windows but unfortunately he did that on our house & it's very sloppy - squiggly & uneven. no offense handymen.

anyone found a solution? inside my closet 54 d. like getting clothes out of cooler. have been putting blankets over windows

also cant get pedestal off dinette to make into bed. do you have to unscrew base plate every night. walk thru & google didnt solve
You can try the removable film plastic, I think by 3M Believe put up with light non perm adhesive and then heated with a hair dryer, to pull tight. Cuts down drafts these windows are famous for.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #4

Quote:

The table may need a little encouragement. Take a hammer to the plates on the underside of the table. Start with light tapping, and then get harder if needed. If finesse doesn't work, use a bigger hammer.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #5

if anything like our windows, the frames are metal, so the will conduct cold through them. I agree with the 3M windw film, but I'd try this first in an inconspicuous place in case it would damage the wall coverings. I've used it on painted surfaces, and even though the label says it won't damage, it peeled the paint off. A heated mattress pad is a wonderful idea, Along with electric heaters. I'd gladly put up with cold clothes if it meant I'm using my RV in January
and not facing going back to work tomorrow.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
2012 Solera

I made a lucite "storm window" - lucite sheet from Amazon; cut to inside of window frame with combination of a table saw and a jig saw (first made a cardboard template with a scissors). Tack glue or screw in place (I did not seal to the frame - decided to let it "breath" to avoid condensation between it and the window glass). Works well - the metal frame is still a heat sink, but the glass area is solved.
Have you tried propping the closet door open a couple of inches, or add a vent to let heat in?
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
inside my closet 54 d. like getting clothes out of cooler
You should open the closet and cabinet doors, at least those on the exterior wall to let warm air in or you may have some issues with condensation inside of them.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #8

You could move to south Florida.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #9

We have ONE plug-in in bedroom used for TWO CPAPs so elec mattress pad is out of ques. Ran out to buy a Costco heater immediately but can't leave on at night. Already blew a fuse once. Can't leave closet(s) open because Curious Cat goes in, shreds stuff for entertainment. I set my clothes on the bed as I prep for shower but only another woman would know what it's like to put chilled underwear on. Guess I'll have to lay them in a sunny area but we usually wake up before the sun. We can get the table off the pedestal (it just unclicks) but not the support that holds the pedestal to the floor. Have pulled, tried to unscrew, google said to unscrew base from floor? May have to go to RV dealer to ask how it works because walk-thru guy didn't know how & we were glad to get outa that place.

Don't mean to be a Prima Donna - first RV, first snowbird. I just didn't expect to be this cold. Did I mention husb is very frugal with propane heat? Last night I took a windshield sun deflector from the car & put it behind the curtain in bedroom...many windows to go.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #10

Been to FL - too muggy. West Coast gal.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Been to FL - too muggy. West Coast gal.
Couldn't resist answering your comment about muggy in Florida in Jan . . It is not muggy in Florida in the winter . South of Orlando it IS WARM in Jan . ! We've been to the Southwestern States for the winter and Florida for the winter. There is no comparison . Florida is FAR warmer than Arizona . Having said that , I do understand we are all different ! I always love to hear about the GIANT bugs in Florida ! We lived there for 3 years (Leesburg) . We wintered there many winters .Very few bugs . We had NO roaches . We took care of our yard and had no ants . There are Gators! Enjoy your Camper where ever you are !! Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #12

I would not compare AZ with South Florida in the winter, much warmer in Florida. I went to college in Florida from 1967 thru 1971 and although I have traveled thru most of the US, for the winter my choice is South Florida. I have not found South Florida to be muggy in the winter. In the summer yes but not the winter.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJim View Post
Very few bugs . We had NO roaches . We took care of our yard and had no ants . There are Gators! Enjoy your Camper where ever you are !! Jim
I saw what I swear was a seven-foot long "palmetto" bug as I was getting under our dinette seats to get gifts out for Christmas. The first one, I may have peed a little. The second one up by the closet was much less stressful.

NOW- after we left and stopped in Georgia and had a FROG hop out from under our sofa, we were more than a little surprised! Poor guy probably died - we took him to the lake at the campground, but it was COLD outside. I surely wasn't driving back to Orlando to put him back.

I guess parking w/ my slide pushed into the vegetation between the sites wasn't the best plan...
Old 01-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJim

Couldn't resist answering your comment about muggy in Florida in Jan . . It is not muggy in Florida in the winter . South of Orlando it IS WARM in Jan . ! We've been to the Southwestern States for the winter and Florida for the winter. There is no comparison . Florida is FAR warmer than Arizona . Having said that , I do understand we are all different ! I always love to hear about the GIANT bugs in Florida ! We lived there for 3 years (Leesburg) . We wintered there many winters .Very few bugs . We had NO roaches . We took care of our yard and had no ants . There are Gators! Enjoy your Camper where ever you are !! Jim
FJ were on the Treasure Coast SE florida, been here 5 weeks and yes sir it gets humid here in Dec/Jan, I even got a pic af a Tornado about a mile north from here. Feels like July in Philly area. Not compaining.......
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote