Old 03-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #1
Cracked flooring

I guess when they say it rains it pours. In my case when it snows its a blizzard.

I just finished a post on the electrical side so if you get a chance look at that also.

I have a Wildwood fifth wheel and when I went to check on the trailer the other day I was shocked what I seen.

The linoleum floor cracked from the floor register along the length of the floor and upstairs from the floor register to the bed step.

I keep my trailer at a seasonal campground about 60 miles south of Indianapolis where we had those 30 below wind chill nights, I am wondering if anyone else may have had the same problem.

I am interested to hear your ideas how you are going to repair your trailer. I have many ideas from taking the easy way by staining the floor to match the cabinets and placing throw rugs especially by the sink, to vinyl tiles, or trying to replace with linoleum.

I'm open to any ideas and even those don't do that.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:35 AM   #2
I have never heard of the floor cracking. My concern would be damage which you cannot see such as that between the underbelly and the subflooring. There could me more damage due to the contraction and expansion of materials during temperature changes.

Have you been able to connect water to the unit to check for cracked plumbing? Too, since both cracks seem to start at floor registers, I would be concerned about damaged (loose) duct work.

I have not read your electrical post, but if possible, I would connect the utilities to aid investigation for other damage including damage to holding tanks. I would definitely do as an extensive investigation as possible before repairing the floor.

In our last travel trailer, the skylight above the shower and the showerhead cracked due to cold weather. After the repairs, we started storing the trailer undercover. Our current travel trailer has always been undercover storage.

2012 Rockwood 8314BSS
2011 Chevy
Camping, Dutch Oven Cooking, and Homebrewing
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:19 AM   #3
Is it a Beaufloor product? IIRC they do have a 7 year cold crack warranty.
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Pulled the trailer out of storage and was hoping to get it ready to use. However, when we opened we noticed to big tears across the vinyl floor. One tear is from the sofa (on the slide) across to the table and the other comes from underneath the stove/sink and stretches across to the bunks. Needless to say I am not impressed. Dealer said there is not much they can do minus 45 - 50 temperatures play havoc with these things and sorry for your bad luck. But for $1500 - 1800 they will gladly replace it for me. Well since we will continue to have winter here in Saskatchewan why would I spend the type of $$ on something that will likely tear again. Should not a company's product be appropriate for where it is being sold? Any ideas? I believe the type of flooring is beau floor. Is there an easy way to tell? The trailer is an 2010 Surveyor Sport SP280
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
I could have written your story as mine is almost exactly the same and I live in Saskatchewan. I have a 2009 30'. I'm not surprised to see the tear. I have replaced the lino in other trailers before with laminate, I hate the stuff but looks like I'll be doing it again this year. My tears are almost identical tidal to yours. Must be something to do with the weight of the slide. I wonder if I had jacked up the 4 corners would that have prevented it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forest River Forums mobile app
aullie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #6
Linoleum crack due to cold weather
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1462719438139.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	107224  
aullie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:24 PM   #7
Same thing happened to me...I stapled and caulked the seam with silicone to avoid further activation... I've purchased vynl flooring to go right over the old stuff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1463455448413.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	108100   Click image for larger version

Name:	1463455473897.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	108102  
2015 Ram Crew Hemi
2005 Surveyor SVT 255RS
Bowmanville SVT255S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:44 PM   #8
Happens every year in the cold climates. It's caused by expansion/contraction of two different materials. The floor is laid before the walls and cabinets go in. There is no glue used. Probably isn't a glue that will work with the big range of temps inside an unheated trailer. Very easy to fix. Cut out the old sheet around the perimeter with a knife. Lay they pieces of the old sheet over the new sheet goods you want and use it as a pattern. Cut out the new sheet and lay it in place. No glue. Just hold it down around the edges with 1/4 round or base shoe nailed in place. Open beer, you're done..
2015 Chev Silverado 3500 dually D/A
2016 Cedar Creek 36CK
B&W Patriot 18K, Trail-Aire pinbox,
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:01 PM   #9
Vinyl sheet flooring WILL crack if the temps drop low enough - it's just what it does. The bad winter 2 years ago caused a lot cracking. Cracks often start at a stress point such as a floor vent. You should be able to get a reasonable patch job done using vinyl flooring seam sealer and you'd need to use some kind of weights to flatten the flooring material while the sealer dries. It could very well happen along the same crack the following winter if cold enough but will get you by for another year. Laminate vinyl plank flooring is an option, but it's gonna still shrink because it's vinyl. Joints could pull apart but if you have an adequate expansion gap all around should be okay. I used laminate flooring in a previous TT made from ABS - not sure if it shrinks more or less than vinyl but it did pull apart in one spot.
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
Langley, BC
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
Been there, done that...

We had the same issue. The problem is that the vinyl flooring is designed for home use where temperatures may fluctuate 5-10ēC, not a trailer where the temperatures can vary by 50ēC or more. My understanding is that the floor is laid down without glue and that everything - walls, cabinetry, fixtures - is installed and screwed through. Such an installation would be done in a factory at room temperature... but when it drops to minus 40 and the floor shrinks, it splits.

Here's ours - from under the bed and under the wall (to under the cabinets on the other side).

We were faced with a decision. We talked to the dealer - the floor could be replaced for $8/sqft plus $1500 for labour - a total of $2460 before tax (although they would glue it down this time). We ended up replacing it ourselves with TrafficMaster Allure flooring from Home Depot. Our cost? $650. The result?

We sold this trailer last week and the replacement flooring was still in top condition. We visited once or twice over the two winters since the installation and noticed that the tiles had shrunk, leaving gaps between. But when the weather warmed, the tiles expanded and the gaps closed.

The project is fully documented on our website in six phases. Check it out at Repairs - Vinyl Flooring Replacement

Restcure (formerly JD and Beastlet)
2012 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2701SS > ProPride 3P 1400 > 2013 F150 FX4 SC EB LB max tow 3.73s
John, Dawn, daughter Emily and Bella the camping kitty

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote