Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #1

Cracked window on the front of my 2109s.

I searched for any threads on reinforcing front windows on a camper but didn't see one specific to this.

Front window on my camper has chips and cracks. I checked with the dealer about getting a metal cover for it with struts to hold it up like the older models. But Rockwood no longer makes those. So I need to fix/replace my broken window.

? is this. Has anyone used a different type of window as a replacement, or had it coated with a plastic protectant? This is just going to happen again. I got marbled a couple months back.

Quick video attached.
Attached Files
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #2

We had one without a cover, We found a cover at Bontragers in White pigeon mi, There are many other suppliers in that same area. Im sure someone will have one. Installed it ourself.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #3

You didn't happen to get a model # or something like that? I searched for an hour trying to find a cover. Thanks! I'll search that company. I'm sure there are used ones out there.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
llr

I can't tell from the picture but I assume it is like mine which is not flat and is laminated windshield glass. I doubt if you could find a stock cover to fit. They do make clear or tinted vinyl that is intended to keep home window glass from braking into shards in storms, I doubt if it would add much to crack prevention and the windshield already has plastic in the middle which is why you have a crack and not a hole. I also expect the storm vinyl would need to be replaced periodically and I have no idea how hard it would be to remove.

Any idea how hard it hit? it should take a lot to crack it just like in a car, however if you hit it hard enough it will crack.

I am not sure how much of an issue this is as this is the 1st post I recall seeing on this.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #5

I don't know what hit it, but yes, it had to be sizable. There are chips in the window too from the marbling we took. I have 3 marble holes now in my truck windshield too. They really got me good.

It IS a flat window however, not rounded at all. Rockwood quit making the cover, so I need to find a used one as suggested. But it needs to be in the Denver area. UGH.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #6
llr

The old type or front window was either window or safety glass, if they took a hit like that it would have gone through the window so the covers were kind of mandatory.

Are you going to cover the truck window too? ); Sorry but personally it appears to be in the same durability range as the truck so I wouldn't worry about a cover. Now if there was no damage the the truck I may have to think about something to protect it.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #7

Actually.. I have been searching for window covers. Just spoke to the RV Dealer and he said to search for rockguards. Here's a pic of exactly what I'm looking for. Now to find one. Lippert makes them, so does All-Rite in Calif. But the shipping will be a bear!

The truck will just have to keep taking a pounding. I can't cover it on the road! *LOL*
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #8

Replacement glass

I had to replace the front window on my 2506 and I was pleasantly surprised how economically it was priced through the local Rockwood dealer. I did the work myself, and it was rather easy. If my memory serves me correct it was only about $70. I was pleasantly surprised as I feared it would be much more.
Just replacing the front window if the occasion comes up again may be a good alternative to a cover.
sytsmasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #9

Thanks for the HOPE sytsmasj. That would be an awesome price. I know my friend and I can install it ourselves. But it will just break again, we do get off highways from time to time. Still need a long-term solution.

I called the dealer for a price on a new window but didn't have the exact measurements. I'll measure soon and let them know. They are very responsive to my calls and emails.

Tags
210, 2109s, crack, window