Old 03-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #1

Deadbolt Problem - Cherokee 274DBH

I picked up out first travel trailer this weekend. After doing the walk through, etc we towed it to our storage facility. After spending some time inside organizing some things we went to lockup. I noticed that the deadbolt was not working on one of my doors.

After taking apart the assembly, I noticed that there is a small bar that connects the cylinder to the deadbolt. Luckily I did have two doors so that I could compare. Without this small bar, the deadbolt never extends. I've tried Googling for the part, but it looks like I can only get it with the whole assembly. I've called the dealer already, and of course the parts section is closed on Sunday. My salesman said they should be able to get me another assembly, but I would rather replace it myself to avoid having to leave it.

Since I'm new to all of this, does anyone have any recommendations on where to maybe find that bar? I'll take a pic if needed later this week.

dugullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #2

you'll probably need to get a whole new assembly. are you doors keyed alike? if so order the new one with the same key code. (or take the bar off the new one and use it for the existing one). call the people at 'rvlocksandmore.com' and talk to them. they sell lots of rv locks and may just have a part laying around. no harm calling.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #3

They are keyed different, and I had plans to eventually get them keyed the same. I just didn't think it would be the first week. This is our first trailer, so we're buying all of the things to get it stocked.

Right now I'm currently working with the dealership to get a new one. They said if I could bring my old one in that they would replace it. The trouble is that would leave my door open while it sits at the storage lot, and the dealership is over an hour away. There is also no guarantee that they even have it in stock.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #4

So I ended up ordering a new lock from rvlocksandmore. Now both doors are keyed the same. I still haven't received a reply from my salesman. It's pretty sad that after the purchase was made it seems like I no longer exist.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #5

I'm glad it worked out and both doors are now keyed alike. our trailer also has two doors and came with different keys. I swapped out one lock so that both are keyed alike. also one of the door strikes in the door jamb was so misaligned that the deadbolt would not go into it. I corrected this. all that held the door closed was the aluminum lip. I guess the expectation of properly installing and aligning items like this is just to much.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugullett View Post
So I ended up ordering a new lock from rvlocksandmore. Now both doors are keyed the same. I still haven't received a reply from my salesman. It's pretty sad that after the purchase was made it seems like I no longer exist.

If you have something like that again you can skip the dealer and call FR warrantee and have them ship you a new one. I got a few things that way and just fixed myself.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #7

Good to know. It was a $22 part. The way the dealer was making it sound it wouldn't be an issue for them to send me one. They just didn't know which lock it took. Which also to me sounded strange since they are the ones selling them.

I'm taking it out for the first time this coming up weekend. I'm hoping I don't have any more issues. This is all new to me so I'm still trying to figure it all out. That's good info to have. I may contact them, (and/or) the dealership to see if they will at least reimburse me.

Tags
cherokee