Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 07:56 AM   #1

Dometic 2100 Awning motor issue

2009 Titanium 5th wheel with two 9100 awning units. Everything fine when i closed up unit in the Spring of 2014 and as usual removed battery during storage. When unit opened last month neither awning worked. Checked fusing and they seem to be fused together (green wires) at the battery, not in the fuse panel. Fuse was good. Assemblies "locked" at the side of unit and couldn't be moved. Called repairman. Told that one of the rocker switches was bad (each unit has its own), that the ground was bad (they have a common ground as i said) but that there was power to the units. Told that somehow the units shorted out because of the bad ground and that caused the burn out. Using a new ground did not cause either motor to function thus that are shot, I guess. To replace both motors is north of $800.
My issue is why this happened? It couldn't have happened during storage and either occurred while driving the unit to storage with the battery installed or when i first reinstalled battery this fall. There were no obvious noises etc, no smell.
I am told that a new ground can be established and new motors installed and all will be well. I am concerned as to why this happened and why it can't happen again. Why didn't the fuse blow?. Should there be an additional in line fuse placed if the above plan is followed or won't it help?
Any help or suggestions really appreciated.
Thanks
A
afinch7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #2

Something doesn't sound right. If they worked before you stored it. Disconnect the battery and connected it and now both don't work? They are on separate switches. Share a common ground. I would get a second opinion before spending that kind of money. Sounds like he is replacing everything. I would check power and grounds. Possible a critters chewed on some wires which could cause some of these issues. Good luck.
jimmyt11664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #3

P.s bad ground could cause them to operate slowly or not at all. Will not cause the motor to fail.
jimmyt11664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Did you actually test power at the motor when trying the switch?

I have an issue believing that a bad ground will short the motor let alone two.
Now a hot wire that is grounded I could see but I'd suspect burn wiring to.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:02 PM   #5

This may not help but on my EVO there is a remote control, if I do anything with the remote I have to undo it with the remote. So if I put out the awning with the remote I have to retract it with the remote. It won't work if I try to retract it with the rocker switch. It acts likes it's dead until I retract with the remote. If yours has a remote that may be the culprit. If not sorry......

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, awning, dometic