Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #1

Dometic 9100 Awning Issue

Short version: Brand new 2015 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 28RKX. Awning worked fine in driveway but on first shakedown camping trip, it failed to extend with only a "clicking" sound from the right support arm. I check fuses and power through the control panel. Good voltage and switch working normally. Attempted to check at the motor but in the retracted position, the connector is down in the channel and I could not easily disconnect the connector without losing the bottom half of the connector as it was out of my reach. I fashioned a hook out of a coat hanger to hold the bottom connector in place while I checked voltages. Bottom connector (feed) had good voltage. Normally this would indicate a bad motor but, even though new, I cleaned the connectors and plugged back in. To my surprise, the awning started working.

Longer version: At beginning of troubleshooting, emailed Dometic to see if there was a way to manually release the awning. To their credit, they emailed me immediately and said they required the model number and serial number. Unfortunately, that information is on a data sheet which is on the awning roll tube under the fabric in the retracted position. After a couple emails explaining I could not access that information, they finally said contact Forest River with the VIN and they should be able to provide you with that information. Have you looked at the Forest River RV website? If you click on "Customer Service" it takes you to a page that says "It is our mission to help all our customers enjoy their RV experience to the fullest." Then provides no contact information except for a statement to contact your dealer. Ok, contact dealer who is 150 miles away via email, no response. Call and leave message, no response. Multiple emails back to Dometic and although they ALWAYS responded quickly, they did not answer direct questions like "Can I use my trailer in this condition or do I need to bind the arms for travel?" That's when, in my frustration, I fashioned the hook to hold the bottom connector and checked the incoming voltage. I sent Dometic a status email with pictures and they responded immediately, thanking me for the update. I still haven't heard from my dealer which has me a little disheartened. He was my best friend when I was ordering my Wildcat Maxx. I'm just happy that I have an extensive equipment repair background and can do my own work. I feel bad for people who don't have that experience and rely on dealers like mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping Rasar 2014 024R1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	63997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping Rasar 2014 023R1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	63998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping Rasar 2014 018R1.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	63999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping Rasar 2014 017R1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	64000  
Old 10-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #2

Our new rig came with a spreadsheet that had every model and serial number for each thing on camper

Fridge
Water heater
Fireplace - you get the idea
And the awning !
Did you get something like this with yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #3

Unfortunately, no. I got a plastic bag with every manual shoved in it and the Dometic Awning "manual" was four sheets of copier paper. There was even a spot on the front page to document all that information but it was blank. I filled it out after I could extend the awning and read the data sheet. I'm in the process of documenting all the model and serial numbers on my laptop for future reference.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #4

Yeah we got that Bag O Crap too but it had that nice sheet inside

At least you have started making one...hopefully you will not need it much !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #5

If you do end up getting a direct contact at Forest River for Wildcat which I am sure someone on here can get you, they should be able to provide you with a sheet that lists all the original model numbers and serial numbers of everything installed on your RV at the factory.

When I bought our used 06 Flagstaff in 2012, I contacted the Flagstaff division of Forest River and they emailed me a scanned copy of the original sheet after I gave them the VIN number.

I'm sure Wildcat has something like this. My new camper made by Keystone doesn't have it and that's something I'm going to ask for. I have seen some manufacturers even put it on a sticker on the back of a cabinet door.

Tags
awning, dometic