Old 07-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #1

Dometic 9100 power awning.

Hello all. I have a Dometic 9100 power awning that will not operate. When I operate the switch, I can hear the motor trying to work. It appears that the motor wants to work, but something is siezed. I have 3 questions1-has anyone had this problem. 2-can it be lubed. 3-If i remove the end cap, is there a tension spring inside the tube that is going to unravel? I had a manual awning on my last trailer and damn near lost my fingers when I took the end cap off. The trailer and awning is only 2 years old so I find it a little disappointing it failed already.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchmo View Post
Hello all. I have a Dometic 9100 power awning that will not operate. When I operate the switch, I can hear the motor trying to work. It appears that the motor wants to work, but something is siezed. I have 3 questions1-has anyone had this problem. 2-can it be lubed. 3-If i remove the end cap, is there a tension spring inside the tube that is going to unravel? I had a manual awning on my last trailer and damn near lost my fingers when I took the end cap off. The trailer and awning is only 2 years old so I find it a little disappointing it failed already.
Sounds like it is bound up by the awning matl being rolled crooked. Put the emergency strap in the roller and have someone try the switch while you pull on the strap. DO NOT remove the cap on the end of the roller on the opposite end of the motor end.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

Thanks, but I had the end cap/arm off of the awning tube/motor and it still will not opperate. Any other ideas from anyone?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchmo View Post
Thanks, but I had the end cap/arm off of the awning tube/motor and it still will not opperate. Any other ideas from anyone?
Might try gently prying the arms away from the trailer at the top. It might take 2 people on ladders to the side of the arms while someone gently bumps the switch.

Might want to make sure the switch is not messed up. When you try to deploy it, does it try to unroll or roll?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #5

Help the awning to unroll when you press your switch to open
Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #6

Thanks dunnnc and SALTY. I tried both of those options. Test light shows the switch is working properly. I have manually unrolled it and tried the switch. It will not go either way even with no tension on the awning fabric. I may have to get into the motor but I am concerned there is a "cobra" spring waiting to take my hand off. Any other ideas are more than welcome.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #7

These awnings are awful, we have had two motors replaced in two months on our Silverback, Dometic is no help at all, they have little to offer when we ask why motors are burning out. It would be different if we used it a lot but, we have not. We are going to replace it with a manual one.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #8

Okay. Here is the long and the short. I contacted Dometic and asked them if there is a tension spring in each end and they said yes and I had better bring it to a Dometic shop. I get that, they want to support their dealers. They lied to me. I took the end out with the motor and there is no spring in the end of my tube. Just the motor. I took the three screws out of one end of the motor and removed what I believe was the brake. Unfortunatly I broke a wire while cleaning the rust up on that part of the unit. I put the assembly back together minus the brake. I reinstalled the rest of the rigging, tried the switch and the awning now works. The only problem is, if i don't completely extend, or completly retract the awning, it will retract all the way on it's own. I have no idea if your awning has springs on either end, but mine didn't.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #9

Great info Scotchmo, I have damaged my awning on the left end tube, and need to replace or possibly repair the end cap cover and bearing or shaft that it rolls on. I also have new fabric to install while I'm there. The 8500 series manual awning videos on you tube DO have wound springs on either end, that need to be carefully unwound to repair the ends. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:10 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Facing the awning, the motor is on the rh end and the torsion spring is on the left end. There is NO spring on the motor end.

Tags
9100, awning, dometic, torsion spring